Must have SNORKEL to DIVE?????????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndigoBlue:
....snip....The City of Laguna Beach naturally has your good health in mind.

No they don't my dear man.....they have their own doesn't-fit-on-a-normal-chair-and-my-mommy-told-me-not-to-get-it-wet posteriors in mind. A snorkel is a a useful tool some of the time as I'm sure you'll point out but is is not and never was a one-size-fits-all solution to every situation.

As for the original post. If it's the law take it. Put in your bcd pocket and be done with it. Don't spend a lot of energy worrying about these things.

R..

IndigoBlue:
Its not always easy to "get it."

What you believe is mostly a function of (1) the instructors who taught you and (2) the dive buddies you dive with.

If you were trained by incompetent instructors, and/or you dive with buddies who are neophytes, then you might not have been taught or shown the need for a snorkel when you dive in kelp waters or from rough beaches or from boats in currents.

Its just an oversight, on the part of those who have influenced you. The City of Laguna Beach naturally has your good health in mind.
Spoken by a person who truly does NOT GET IT!
People, the above poster is a great reason to try out the IGNORE feature that is offered by Scubaboard.

Snorkles are for snorkleing, if they were for diving they would be hooked up to a cylinder and called divles.

IndigoBlue:
For the UK, the only reason I can think of, is if you are washed downcurrent and stranded at sea. Your snorkel would make it easier for you to breathe on the surface, especially if for some reason your B/C also failed, which it might.

Its not rocket science.

Given 95% of all diving here is with "live boats" getting washed down current is expected and normal - the boat always comes to you.

Lost/stranded is another possibility. I know of 2 people that it has happened to, the one was lost for near 5 hours.

Neither of these 2 had a snorkel on them and despite 6ft seas (or above in one case) none had a problem breathing on the surface.

If the BC fails then you have a drysuit for buoyancy as well.

If both fail and you're having a really bad day you can always ditch your weights (or if water is shallow enough, attach them to your reel and use them as a makeshift anchor).

String:
If the BC fails then you have a drysuit for buoyancy as well.

If both fail and you're having a really bad day you can always ditch your weights (or if water is shallow enough, attach them to your reel and use them as a makeshift anchor).

even in a wetsuit, if the BC "fails" you should be plenty
bouyant at the surface even without ditching weights.
but ditching weights will certainly make you much more
positive than you need to stay afloat.

IndigoBlue:
Its not always easy to "get it."

Yes ... we can see that. :eyebrow:

IndigoBlue:
What you believe is mostly a function of (1) the instructors who taught you and (2) the dive buddies you dive with.

Sometimes it's a function of experience and logical thinking.

IndigoBlue:
If you were trained by incompetent instructors, and/or you dive with buddies who are neophytes, then you might not have been taught or shown the need for a snorkel when you dive in kelp waters or from rough beaches or from boats in currents.

Actually, I removed mine when I realized I had been carrying it around for some time without ever using it. That was several hundred dives ago, and I have yet to wish I had it with me.

IndigoBlue:
Its just an oversight, on the part of those who have influenced you. The City of Laguna Beach naturally has your good health in mind.

Of course ... politicians always have our best interests in mind. We all understand that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

IndigoBlue:

There you go, calling me incompetent again :rocker:

IndigoBlue:
Your snorkel would make it easier for you to breathe on the surface...
I actually find breathing on the surface much easier without the restriction (and CO2 buildup) of a snorkel, especially since I prefer surface swimming in a supine position - I would drown if I used a snorkel in this situation. Like GratefulBob said - I have yet to wish I had it.

CAPX28:
:06:
SO i dive in southern california mostly in Laguna Beach, and just found out ( city ordinance) you must have 3 things to dive.

1. bc....understandable
2. Buddy....understandable
3.snorkel.....i just dont get it

Can someone please explain this to me????

no one else is the waqter has to have a snorkel...just divers
and this rule especially irritates me cause i never use one

Dam, I guess I will not be diving there.

1st, I almost always dive alone. 2nd, out of the $50,000 in dive equipment I own, I dont think there is one snorkel to be found. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom