Mustache Divers Mask Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put some Burt's Bees wax on my stache to help with the seal. Works well for me.
I will try that to see if I can get 100% seal.

FWIW, I lived in Pennsylvania Dutch Country for years and I don't recall these bearded fellows ever complaining about leaky scuba masks.

IMG_0480.jpeg

I'm inclined to agree with an earlier post - I have a bristly mustache, don't shave it at all, no lube, and when I wear a mask that fits well and the strap is directly opposite (i.e., not near the top of my head or pulled down too far), and the right tightness, it stays dry as can be.

If I have the strap a bit off, or it's too tight or too loose, then I get leakage.

A good fitting mask, properly fitted and strapped shouldn't leak, even with facial hair.

I put silicone grease on my mustache when I had it. Vaseline is petroleum based, so it will degrade the silicone skirt on your mask.

This. Growing out the stache a little longer helps too. I tried trimming the top to skin but it made my mask skirt pull up against my nose uncomfortably. A light layer of regular o-ring silicone grease to the hair before gearing up works flawlessly for me all day. Keep it in my save a dive kit.

As others have mentioned, do not use any oil based lubricants (Vaseline, etc) as this can degrade the silicone based skirt.

Back
Top Bottom