MV Colona VI (Similan trip)??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cando

Reaction score
I'm going on a liveaboard April 6-10th on MV Colona and I was just wondering if anyone has been on that boat and whether or not they had a good experience? It's that or the Mermaid II, any major differences? Is it true there are only 2 divemasters for all 14 guests??

My second question is, has anyone been in the month of April? Are conditions good? I heard the algea/plankton bloom is during those months so visibility might be reduced?

Lastly, I noticed some boats go to the Similans and Surin islands (richeleiu etc) and some only go to similans.....are both sites good or should i stick with a boat that tours mostly the similan islands?

Thanks guys

what eats plankton? Oh yes - that would be whale sharks and mantas to name but two.....

Just got back from MV Colona (I know I still have not done the report but my girlfriend had other ideas this weekend!!) and can highly recomend the boat.

Yes they do have 2 dive guides for 14 guests - what is the problem with this? They are not there (or on any boat for that matter) to baby sit you but to point you in the direction of stuff! Also if you have an experienced buddy team they are happy for you to do your own thing - after listening to the briefing that is.

The local crew are fantastic too and I am sure you will like the food - we all did! With the excpetion of one person who though marmite was chocolate spread!!

The boat also has nitrox as long as Raul is on board. It was only $5 a tank which I thought was a steal.

If you go please send my regards to Raul and Mark (the dive guides).

Jonathan

Thanks Johnathan, sounds good.

Only reason I ask about number of divemasters is because ive been on many day trips to king cruiser, Phi Phi, shark point etc, but we've always had one divemaster for every 4 divers, so its easier to follow them around and find all the really neat stuff.

I dont mind diving on my own with my buddy but would prefer to concentrate on the wildlife than my compass ha ha :)

Thnaks again

Back
Top Bottom