MX Cavern Tour Report -- May 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ligersandtions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband’s cousin was getting married in Playa del Carmen, so we jumped at the opportunity to take a long dive vacation. The first week was spent diving Cozumel (separate dive report coming), and the second week would be mostly topside stuff around Playa del Carmen with a day of cavern tours through Zero Gravity, the GUE shop catering to cave divers in the Riviera Maya.

For years, I’ve read cave dive reports, been awed by photos and videos, and been intrigued by the caves. I went in desperately hoping I would not fall in love with the caves (because I can’t possibly justify spending the money and time required to cave dive since we don’t have local caves), but completely figured it was hopeless.

We made our way to the ZG shop (what a great set-up!). We got all of our gear set up, met our guide (a nice local cave diver named Daniel), and headed out to our first site. The first site was Jardin del Eden; we chatted about the layout of the cavern, made our dive plan, geared up, and splashed. The open water portion was absolutely gorgeous, so I had high hopes….that were not fulfilled. The cave looked “dirty” and the structure wasn’t horribly interesting. On the exit, I had mixed emotions from “Maybe the next site will be better and I’ll love it” to “Whew, dodged a bullet”.

For the second dive, we headed over to Taj Maha (or Mahal, depending on which sign you look at). While we were discussing the cavern dive, it started pouring – torrential downpour style rain! We were going to be wet anyways, so we figured we’d gear up and splash. This site is a lot more “cave-like” than the first site, though that may be because there was very little ambient light to stream into the cavern zone. I liked this site better than the first one (it looked cleaner, the structure was nicer, and I think I preferred the darkness of it), but it still did not knock my socks off.

I don’t know if it was a function of the cavern dives we did (Jardin de Eden and Taj Maha), the day we did it on (little ambient light streaming in, which were the most beautiful cavern pictures I’ve seen), the guide (a very nice guy, but not one of the ZG guys people rave about), or just that it’s not our thing, but we definitely were not bitten by the cave bug. It’s something I’d do if I lived closer, but not something I’m dying to do now (and devote all future vacations to MX or FL to dive the caves). I’m sure it’s something we’d do if we didn’t have so many other places that we’d like to visit in the future, but I just can’t imagine committing all of our future vacations to this area. Honestly, though, I have to admit that I was a little disappointed with the fact that I didn’t love the caves like I had expected to, but it’s probably best that way anyways.

Nicole - Thanks for the trip report.

I guess EVERYONE can't love the caves otherwise we'd have a huge traffic jam underwater. :D

I totally understand your sentiment. I haven't tried anything like cave or cavern diving yet...and I'm also hoping I don't like it! It would certainly save a lot of money! :) One of the things I love most about diving is the marine life. I love seeing and sometimes interacting with the life underwater and that would be missed in the caves.

Thanks for the write up...did Stephen get any photos? Would love to take a peek at them at some point!

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for the report. So glad you made it down to Mx. Sounds like dodging the cave bug is best in your case. Congrats ;-)!

Eden is usually the first introductory check out cavern. It's not particularly decorated, but is still quite nice in bright sunlight. Taj is perhaps one of my favorite caverns, but again, much of it's enchantment is created by bright sunlight.

Nicole -- Good to see you and too bad we couldn't/didn't meet up for drinks after your Cavern tour(s). It took me about 20 minutes to be infected by the Cave Bug but it is my understanding it either gets you or it doesn't -- not much in between.

I totally understand your sentiment. I haven't tried anything like cave or cavern diving yet...and I'm also hoping I don't like it! It would certainly save a lot of money! :) One of the things I love most about diving is the marine life. I love seeing and sometimes interacting with the life underwater and that would be missed in the caves.

Thanks for the write up...did Stephen get any photos? Would love to take a peek at them at some point!

We have a bunch of photos from Coz, but he didn't take the camera into the caverns. We made the assumption that the ZG guys probably wouldn't allow us to take it in on our cavern tour. I'll post Coz pics when he's done looking through and picking out his favorites....but you're obviously welcome to come over and look anytime :D

Nicole -- Good to see you and too bad we couldn't/didn't meet up for drinks after your Cavern tour(s). It took me about 20 minutes to be infected by the Cave Bug but it is my understanding it either gets you or it doesn't -- not much in between.

Yeah, small world running into you and Lynne that morning! I'd have liked to get together for drinks, but we just didn't have the opportunity (that, and I was a bit worried about disappointing Lynne by not loving the caves!).

No worries, Nicole! Although I'd like to see you give it another go someday, and go to some of the places I like better (although Taj can be really beautiful if the light is right, and if your guide shows you how to play in the halocline). But I understand personal tastes -- why people spend thousands of dollars on training and gases to go look at silty rusted metal on the bottom of the sea totally escapes me :)

No worries, Nicole! Although I'd like to see you give it another go someday, and go to some of the places I like better (although Taj can be really beautiful if the light is right, and if your guide shows you how to play in the halocline). But I understand personal tastes -- why people spend thousands of dollars on training and gases to go look at silty rusted metal on the bottom of the sea totally escapes me :)

If I find myself back in MX (or even FL), I'll give it another go.

I also don't get spending thousands of dollars on training an gases to go look at silty rusted metal either....but I totally get why they'd do it for the life around the silty rusted metal :D

Correct me if I'm wrong but Dos Ojos would have had a better chance to charm you.
I can understand ZG took you to Taj and Eden, it's next door to their dive center and more cost
efficient for them. :shakehead:

I didn't really 'get it' either, when I took my cavern and basic cave courses in Florida. 'Rock, meet water. Water, meet rock' is the impression I came away with. But I comforted myself with the hope that the techniques I was learning would make me a more solid diver. Cut to my first trip to Mexico...holy cow. Amazing. Diving there is like flying through the grandest cathedrals ever built. My point is, it can take a couple of attempts to get bittne by the cavern/cave bug. If you're up for it, give it another go.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom