My 5060 had a swim in the casing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In reality, something was wrong before you entered the water! unless you really gave the housing a hard knock while on the dive. Current will not have any affect on the seal at depth!

Your flood was very minor in that the housing had little water in it, Most likely there was something very small ( sand, hair, solt ) between the o-ring and the sealing surface! but digi cams only require ONE drop of water in the wrong place to damage them!

Anyway, Welcome to the Club. I have a couple of Nikonos Paperweights myself.

There are two types of underwater cameras! those that WILL flood, and those the ARE flooded!

Chris

orangeBloke:
Well it had to happen eventually and my 5060 has finally had a flood. Okay not so much a flood as a paddle but it was enough to do damage and Olympus tell me that it looks like the motherboard needs to be replaced. A bummer but at least the pictures survived.

What's odd to me is how it happened. The camera was okay when I checked it, it was okay before I hit the water and I have 20 minutes of pictures to show that it was okay during the first part of the dive. It was only when we hooked on to the reef in a fairly strong current to watch the fish around us that the problem occurred. I left the camera down secured in front of me, took in the view, and when I picked it up again a few minutes later there was water in it as the narrower O-ring had slipped in at one corner letting in about a tablespoon or two of sea. When I got back to the surface I checked the casing and the clamps were still in place and nothing untoward seemed to be wrong. I dived the empty case on the next dive to check it and it was fine.

All I can think of to explain this is that the current must have pushed out the O-ring as nothing else makes sense. Has anyone else had anything like this happen? I just want to be sure that when my camera comes back for Olympus hospital that it doesn't ever get another bath

Cheers

I just had the exact same thing happen. I have to send my camera off to Canon. I have red lines appearing on the screen and in the photo after a small flood. Just wondering what this is costing you to fix so I might get an idea of what I may be in for. Thanks and sorry!

Oh bummer, my condolences to you too.

I just got the camera back and the Olympus technician was a nice guy, he talked to me like I'd just lost a member of the family. The camera got fairly wet inside and there are signs of water contact and some corrosion with just about everything. But, being the hardy little 5060 that it is, a bit of cleaning was all that was required to get the camera working again. Olympus also said that as they didn't actually fix anything they wouldn't charge me for it :D

I was told that it may eventually die but for now it's in good health so I'll stick with it. Think I'll get some new O-rings tho just in case :)

Back
Top Bottom