My 5060 had a swim in the casing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangeBloke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Well it had to happen eventually and my 5060 has finally had a flood. Okay not so much a flood as a paddle but it was enough to do damage and Olympus tell me that it looks like the motherboard needs to be replaced. A bummer but at least the pictures survived.

What's odd to me is how it happened. The camera was okay when I checked it, it was okay before I hit the water and I have 20 minutes of pictures to show that it was okay during the first part of the dive. It was only when we hooked on to the reef in a fairly strong current to watch the fish around us that the problem occurred. I left the camera down secured in front of me, took in the view, and when I picked it up again a few minutes later there was water in it as the narrower O-ring had slipped in at one corner letting in about a tablespoon or two of sea. When I got back to the surface I checked the casing and the clamps were still in place and nothing untoward seemed to be wrong. I dived the empty case on the next dive to check it and it was fine.

All I can think of to explain this is that the current must have pushed out the O-ring as nothing else makes sense. Has anyone else had anything like this happen? I just want to be sure that when my camera comes back for Olympus hospital that it doesn't ever get another bath

Cheers

Hmmm....it could have gotten bumped hard enough to break the pressure seal, especially if you had it hanging in front of you.

Sometimes if you notice a small leak, if you'll keep the housing pointed downward so the water puddles in the lens port instead of around the camera...you can sometimes save the camera.

56.gif

Sorry to hear about your camera. I know the feeling as I have been there, done that.

First of all sorry to hear about your flood. Just like Gilligan says...been there done that and welcom to the club!
Last week we had guest on the boat with a sea & sea...did great on the first dive (up to 106'). Part way into the 2nd dive he lost the camera. Luckily we found it right away and were able to retrieve it. Than maybe another 10 minutes later the camera flooded. No current, no bumping, was ok when we went in....When we opened the camera the oring was in place, no crack....No idea what happened....like with you, he'll never know why it happened.

Thanks for the condolonces, and I accept the dubious honour of joining the flooded camera club.....to be honest I guess I don't have a choice :)

Aussie Shark Bait, that posting makes very interesting reading. My casing popped the O-ring in the lower left hand corner too. It's been on 60+ dives until the time of the problem but I may have a word with Olypmus about this. That posting will make a good case for the defence

Thanks

Absolutely, bring their notice to Aengus' last post.

A bit late but Ouch !!!! Sorry to hear the bad news .

Safe Diving

Andrew

justleesa:
First of all sorry to hear about your flood. Just like Gilligan says...been there done that and welcom to the club!
Last week we had guest on the boat with a sea & sea...did great on the first dive (up to 106'). Part way into the 2nd dive he lost the camera. Luckily we found it right away and were able to retrieve it. Than maybe another 10 minutes later the camera flooded. No current, no bumping, was ok when we went in....When we opened the camera the oring was in place, no crack....No idea what happened....like with you, he'll never know why it happened.

I am the guest that Justleesa refers to. OBTW, Hawaii was great and she is a great dive buddy! (And really nice!)

As she stated I'll never know what caused it to occur. I guess it's one of those "unsolved mysteries" ranking up there with Bigfoot and Aliens. :wink:

On a positive note the pictures survived.

I have used this incident to convince myself to purchase an Olympus Camera and UW case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom