My accident --- and why it happened.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TekDiveGirl

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As many of you are well aware of I suffered a serious diving accident June 3, 2006. A diving accident that nearly took my life had it not been for the flawless execution of the people on the boat getting me evacuated and to the hospital, the hospital staff , family and friends that never gave up on me as well as lot of divine intervention.

Over the past 10 months there has been a lot of speculation as to why my accident occured. The obvious answers were ruled out right away. My Vytec was downloaded and when we looked at the profile --- my times were dead on with what the Nautalus had planned. They analyzed all of my gas --- and it too was correct. So that ruled out that I had made a mistake.

Two weeks ago, I was tested for a PFO by doing an echocardiogram with bubble study. As I expected, the results of that test were positive. Next Friday, April 13, I am having a TEE done to determine exactly where the PFO is and how big it is. From there my cardiologist will determine what closure device to use and then we will schedule the repair.

A really good website that explains exactly what a pfo is --- the tests to determine if you have a pfo and how exactly the closure is done is :

As I do more research I see that I had many warning signs along the way that I blew off or just thought they were related to other things --- such as migraines after dives, mild skin bends, fatigue etc... If you have any of these symptoms after dives more than just a couple of times --- you may want to get checked tested for a pfo. Especially the migraines --- the link to migraines and pfo's is a huge one.

Kimber

I'll second that!! I'm very interested in the "warning signs".

Good to hear things are turnining out well for you.

Welcome back Kimber! I know all of this is very personel but how are you doing? Thank you for posting. Many of us have been sitting here for a long time wondering but not knowing how you are. Hope your back up to speed!

I was aware of your accident due to your friends on SB and their links to "Go Pink". I glad to hear you're recovering and doing well. Are you back to diving, or will you be?
Also, the link you referred to is missing from your original post. I'm interested inhearing more.
C-Dawg

Kimber,

I'm "glad" that the PFO was diagnosed so there is an increased probability that it can be repaired successfully and you can return to diving. It is better to know what you are facing, and what can be done about it. My understanding is that the PFO is often easily repairable. I hope that is the case with you and that you'll be able to return to what you love when the doctors clear you. Best fishes...

Kimber:

As a tech diver, dive instructor, and an interventional cardiologist who performs PFO closure regularly please PM me if I can be of any help to you.

Glad you're doing well and I hope you're back in the water soon!

Doug

Kimber! Aloha! I've seen a post from you here and there....good to see that you're up to writing about your experience. I wish you you the best with your procedure!

Hugs your kids and Happy Easter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom