My best day diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure who, since everybody looks the same in a DUI drysuit :wink:, but somebody let me use their scooter… what a blast that was.

That would have been Cody who gave you his scooter. A few minutes later, you handed the scooter off to me, at which point Cody must have been wondering if he was going to ever get the scooter back. :)

Yesterday was awesome. The fun and camaraderie of diving with people who just generally enjoy diving cannot be beat. Having great conditions above and below the water was the icing on the cake.

Though I think it's more of because SoCal divers tend to be more gregarious and helpful than due to either DIR or rec diving culture.

I think we have a lot of threads to show that the MoCal DIR folks are just as nice, and just as welcoming. And THIS thread is recent evidence that we're the same way in the PNW!

I think the past two weeks have done a lot to erase some of the stereotypes (at least in socal)....between the DIR / DIR curious event, the GUE demo day, and yesterday's Yukon adeventures, we're having a great time and welcoming as many as we can to our community!

We met at the GUE demo day on Sunday and Bob announced that we were all going diving on the Marissa the next day to dive the Yukon. There was some grumbling about work, some thinking about ditching, some plotting as to how to get out of work....and next thing you know, we have nine of us "working" from the Marissa and the Yukon :D

Quintin even showed up in business casual attire....wearing a set of doubles and a stage :wink:

Bob's enthusiasm was infectious....the guy really loves diving (and helping others with their diving). It was so nice to see Bob, Steve, and Karim come out for a relaxing, fun day of diving....and for the other six of us to be able to join!

I know some of us were fortunate enough to get some feedback from Bob, and I know at least a few of us are planning to make the discussed adjustments and see how it all works out next weekend. A huge thanks to everyone for coming out!

Oh, and yeah, the diving really was that good. There was a monster mola mola....probably the biggest one in history (maybe not, but probably!). Nice conditions and great company make for a teriffic day of diving....skipping work didn't hurt either :wink:

Sounds like an incredible time with some awesome divers, I knew I was going to regret not going. But it just wasn't going to happen. I think this is the second time I've missed a Yukon trip, and I'll be damned if I miss another one.
I was in Bob's group during the GUE Demo, and I can't imagine how awesome it would be to dive alongside him or any of the other seasoned DIR folks. All great friendly open people, and I can't wait to get some real diving in with you guys.

Bob showed me the pics this morning of the incredible viz on the Yukon and the mola molas. Flat seas, fun group, clear vis, and awesome wreck. Couldn't have asked for more. Very lucky day of diving for you all. So jealous I couldn't make it.

I'm sooo jealous! You were all supposed to come back and say it was horrible and I should be glad I had to work! *sigh*
I'm so glad you all had a great time and I hope to make it out to the Yukon soon.

Eric..do I hear a Fundies class in your future? I signed up for the December class today. It'd be great to have you along!

Sounds like an awesome time. Congrats on many firsts.

We've had some pretty phenomenal conditions on the Yukon over the past few weeks. In fact some of the best I've seen in a few years. We scored it a few weeks with similar conditions as reported here - 60+ ft of viz with no snotty surface layer. You could see the entire wreck clearly from about 15ft ...the surface from 80ft. There's several mola hanging around the water column around the wreck right now ... we counted as many 6 different ones on a recent dive. The best part, though, is that the water temps have finally warmed up to normal seasonal levels. Who would have ever guessed 56F would feel so tropical :)

If you get a chance, get out there and dive it. It really doesn't get like this very often :)

Sounds like an awesome time. Congrats on many firsts.

We've had some pretty phenomenal conditions on the Yukon over the past few weeks. In fact some of the best I've seen in a few years. We scored it a few weeks with similar conditions as reported here - 60+ ft of viz with no snotty surface layer. You could see the entire wreck clearly from about 15ft ...the surface from 80ft. There's several mola hanging around the water column around the wreck right now ... we counted as many 6 different ones on a recent dive. The best part, though, is that the water temps have finally warmed up to normal seasonal levels. Who would have ever guessed 56F would feel so tropical :)

If you get a chance, get out there and dive it. It really doesn't get like this very often :)

On our second dive we were able to see the wreck from the surface so we were able to descend without the mooring line. That was great! I'm afraid I've set my standards too high on my first Yukon dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom