My best day diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On our second dive we were able to see the wreck from the surface so we were able to descend without the mooring line. That was great! I'm afraid I've set my standards too high on my first Yukon dives.

That's crazy!!! The best viz I ever got out of that joint was like 15-ft and that was a generous estimation.

It has been two days since the dive on the Yukon with Bob, Steve, Karim and the rest of the most awesome group of divers I have yet to encounter, and the happiness has yet to dissipate.

It was the equivalent to being on a championship basketball, hockey or football team - everyone truly skilled, working together for the greater good of the team and that's what I most enjoy about my GUE experiences.

Got Skills?! I have yet to see a group as large as Monday's putting on an exhibition of trim, balance, buoyancy, propulsion techniques, spot on profiles and UNIFIED TEAM DIVING! It was RIDICULOUS!!!

We had the Marissa Dive Boat all to ourselves and the two women crew of the Marissa took extra good care of us! I could've married both of 'em right then and there for being so professional, good looking and baking the best brownies I ever had! Hey, where's the Parson when you really need one?!

Thanks again to everyone who participated in Monday's dive on the Yukon. It will be a day I will cherish for the rest of my life.

A big shout out to Bob(Dive-Guru)Sherwood for his generosity in sharing so much priceless information and knowledge. To Karim for the awesome photography and providing a place like Hollywood Divers for dive individuals and groups interested in alternative dive equipment and configurations to further grow and develop their dive acumen and career. To Steve for his great instruction on my first ever GUE Primer course and his continued support...Looking forward to Fundies in Dec.!

Thanks Cody for the use of your 130 and your support for my upcoming Fundies course with Bob and Steve...and whoever let me borrow their scooter, much love! Using that dpv for the first time is the equivalent to using crack cocaine...Hooked Baby! Nicole you know what I'm talkin' 'bout! :D

R

A little late to the thread...but sounds like everyone had a great time!! Wish I could've been there!!

Was great to meet everyone the day and weekend before...looking forward to having some new dive buddies! You guys are going to have an awesome time in Fundies...kind of wish I could take it again. :)

Roc,

You didn't even see the communication I made to Nicole after we clipped our scoots to you and Eric.

It has something to do with slapping the vein and shooting something! You'll never be the same! Also, just let me know when you want to try the 100's.

A little late to the thread...but sounds like everyone had a great time!! Wish I could've been there!!

Was great to meet everyone the day and weekend before...looking forward to having some new dive buddies! You guys are going to have an awesome time in Fundies...kind of wish I could take it again. :)

Isn't that the truth?? Every time I hear of a really solid team (like Leslie, Roc, and Eric) taking Fundies from some of the best instructors around (ahem, Bob :wink:), I kinda wish I could do it again!

I suppose I'll settle for videoing for the occasional class and getting my ass in gear for the eventual T1 class :D

And Roc, it was my scoot. Like everyone told us on our first scooter ride....the first taste is free :wink:

You're right...I didn't see it in the water, but Nicole demo'd your gesture once we had returned to the boat and you were spot on my friend! ...spot on!

I will definitely be picking up the 100's soon. Thanks again for your support Cody...means alot, man.

My best day diving

IIn conclusion :dork2: The group I was with was a GUE DIR team. They were the most generous, open, and friendly divers I have encountered. I know there are a small group of relatively loud, self proclaimed DIR experts on these forums who can poorly represent the DIR community. Please ignore them. The people at Hollywood Divers, Karim and Steve, as well as Bob from GUE, are not only THE experts, but also friendly, and professional. They are who you need to dive with and learn from. Thank you to all the divers on the boat today. Now I must sleep before I collapse.

That's because the ones that call it DIR & insist that's the only way to dive are the fanactics. Just because you are not trained GUE does not mean you aren't doing it right. I dive with a lot of different divers with different diving styles & as long as they are safe & don't take any unnecessary risks I dive with them again.
Don't get me wrong GUE trianing is good if thats the way you want to go but for me I'm happy diving my way.

John

That's because the ones that call it DIR & insist that's the only way to dive are the fanactics. Just because you are not trained GUE does not mean you aren't doing it right. I dive with a lot of different divers with different diving styles & as long as they are safe & don't take any unnecessary risks I dive with them again.
Don't get me wrong GUE trianing is good if thats the way you want to go but for me I'm happy diving my way.

John

John,
I certainly don't feel that anybody from the group I dive with feel that we are by any means doing things Right and by doing so suggesting that others are doing it wrong. We've found a way that works well for us and I personally find it leads me to less stress and maximum fun.

Unfortunately we're left with this stigma that we think we're doing things better. I don't think that is what the founders had intended when they coined the term DIR and GUE is moving away from the term in general. There are too many zealous divers who claim to be DIR because they read something on the internet but they really aren't.

On another note, let us know the next time(s) you'll be on the Spectre and we will try and come up and dive!

Hey John,
FWIW, I don't call the way I dive DIR. The term doesn't mean anything to me anymore since it's just been diluted by politics and conflict. I do consider myself GUE-trained and do value the diving tenets taught by the agency. That being said, I'm also in agreement with you that there are many ways to dive. Each person has to find the way which works best for them. I'd like to think that I keep an open kind when diving with others, and some of my favorite dive buddies have never taken a GUE class. Heck, I still have fond vivid memories of bug hunting with you and Ken K. where I caught my second lobster, and diving with you on the Beach Crab dives and doing Deadmans with you and Robert. Looking forward to seeing you soon in the ocean.
Ken

And if you shop at CVS instead of Rite Aid, you'll probably be ok, too. :wink:

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom