My boy is pregnant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yep, you read that right. My male seahorse is pregnant. Seahorses, in case you don't know are the only animal in which the male gets pregnant and gives birth.

I have several species of seahorses as pets. These two seahorses were aquafarmed, in Hawaii. They have never been in the actual ocean, they were born and raised in a tank. I've had Jezebel (the female) since February and Kade (the male) since April. My Hippocampus erectus male, Kade is pregnant for the first time.

My best guess is that he'll give birth in about 10 days or so. I saw my seahorses 'courting' on Friday and I think that he's carrying eggs now. It could be that he's got his pouch puffed up just to show Jezebel what a good father he would make but I think he's got a brood growing in there.

Seahorses give birth to live babies, also know as fry. Once the fry are born, they are on their own, Mom and Dad's job is done but mine just starts. In the wild, scientists figure that only about 1% of seahorse fry survive. It is not an easy job to try and raise them and I know many people that are lucky if they can get 1% to survive. Of course there are breeders which have the skill to make sure that they have a higher success rate.

Wish me luck. I'll keep this thread updated on our progress.

In the photo, Kade is the one you can easily see. Jezebel is the slightly darker one that has her head in their feeding dish.

Attachments

• Kade.jpg
    Kade.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 84
Very cool! Do keep us posted. :)

Congratulations!! Pass out the cigars !! :D

very cool thank the gods it wasn't the worm

at least you won't have to spring for a maternity test...

congrats to the whole tankhold!

This is great news! When the fry are born, does that make you a grandmother?

Cool!
I guess you learn something everyday.
I learned that I am glad I am not a Male Seahorse.
I have 2 beautiful children, and I am a very happy dad, but I am sorta' glad I did not have the final manufacturing process on my plate.

Thanks for posting...I will stay tuned for baby photos of the colts and fillies....

Chug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom