my first 2 solo dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11x

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
well my regular dive budy went on a cruise to mexico to dive and i had to work. so i decided to go to the local quarrie and have a go at solo diving. at first i just swam around at about 10-15 ft or so in the open. i have to admit it was real nice going at my own pace and if i wanted to stop to look at nothing i could do so. after a few min i headded down a bit to check out some places i hadent had a chance to check out. i cruised around at about 20 ft for quite a while. it is amasing how nice it was diving by myself. the only disadvantage wast that i was the fact that i saw some real big fish hiding in a boat that i wanted to get a closer look at but i wasent comfortable going in a enclosed area with out a dive buddy yet. i was suprised at how much better my air consumption was when i was by myself. i can see why people enjoy solo diving some times. i think i will get my sm doubles rig togather before i start doing any thing real serious by my self. it is weird that something as simple as laying on your back on top of a submurged frito truck in 5 ft of water watching bubbles go up can be so relaxing. on a nother note, do any of you find that your regulator breathes harder than normal when you are on your back?

Some reg don't work very well if you "look up" and others this is not an isue. The only reg I have that it don't matter wich way I face is my Posido But the other 2 sets I have will almost stop working if they are faced up. Yah you need to get a pony or run tweens and be sure to have at lest 2 cutters of some kind just to get you started in solo, alot of use also have lift bags and a reel, 2 or 3 lights, back-up computers and depth gauges, spair mask. If you read up on werk diving and cave diving you will see alot of the same set-ups and there's a good reson for this.....overhead diving is all about taken care of yourself right there where you are without rushing to the top.....you have to be your buddy.....so if you have somthing go faul you have to deal with it on the spot. But your right there's no more freedom underwater then going solo.

well i have got a doubles rig in mind. i am saving for a oxycheq recon. i got two regs, two computers two cutters,two lights(dont take them on day dives). all i need now is a second mask. i took my scuba pro reg and it did not quit working but it felt like i was breathing down the tank. it got alot of resistance but still provided air. i am going to try my apex on the next solo dive but i need another low pressure hose that fits my black diamond bc. i enjoy diving new sites with a buddy but once i am familiar with a dive site i think i will like to dive solo.

Yeah I take it real slow in a new spot too. I don't care for just pulling the plug and drop down into the unknown. Black diamond is a Seaquest? I think a zeagle and seaquest are the only ones that will fit, that is anless you put a air2 on it then your stuck with scubapro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom