My first BC: The Zeagle Wicked Lite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cosmographer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since I need to travel to any worthwhile dive sites, I bought a Wicked Lite because it seemed to be the lightest, most compact BC I could find. Seeing the picture of it rolled up got me all excited, and the first thing I did when I received it was to roll it up just like in the pics. Awesome. It's a good looking BC, and I really wanted to love it, bt unfortunately, I will be buying something else.

First, let me preface my review by disclosing that I am a new diver and this is my first BC. Jacket styles never bothered me, and I was a bit worried about back inflates due to the tendency to go face forward while at the surface. As it tuns out, this was a non-issue. What was an issue, however, was fit. Perhaps this unit was too big for me, though according to Zeagle's sizing chart, this should have been a perfect fit. It felt loose both in and out of the water. I had 2kg in one side, and 1kg in the other pocket, and this differential was enough to force me to twist my BC around a few times to get it straight while underwater. I like the snug feel of a jacket BC when you're walking around on the surface. This unit made me feel like everything was hanging below my butt. Instead of riding high and tight, the Wicked Lite seemed to sling everything a bit too low for my taste. Despite this, it never posed a problem as far as moving in it goes. I don't know if this is a characteristic of the Wicked Lite, all back-inflates, or just a fit issue.

The bigger problem, however, was the bladder. It is a horseshoe shape and there is only one rear dump valve (on the left side). I have experienced several instances during my first few dives of air getting trapped inside. I tried all the obvious positions to get the air to either the top or left rear valve, but was not too successful. As a result, I had to fight the bladder to stay neutral. Eventually, I found that I could get the air moving by positioning myself completely upside-down (fins pointing toward the surface), but that's a pain to do every time.

As a new diver, I don't know if this is a design flaw or something characteristic of all horseshoe bladders with one dump valve. If this unit had a dump valve on either side, it would be a keeper. Unfortunately, I will be buying something else. Maybe an Express Tech with donut wing. It's not that much heavier. I noticed that the donut wing also has only one rear dump valve. Does the donut-shape make a valve on either side unnecessary? Does anyone ever have trapped-air issues with donuts?

In any case, that's my review of the Wicked Lite, for what it's worth.

Horseshoe shape...normally comes with a single lower dump valve as air can normally circulates around the bladder. I have the Express tech with 30 lbs donut wing. I normally use the dump button of my inflator hose to release air from the wing unless I happen to be in a butt high position in which case I will use the lower dump valve. I found that if I am diving diving in a horizontal position bringing the hose up will normally be sufficient. If not by just lowering my upper buddy to sneak my butt slightly higher than my head and feet and using the lower dump valve will work very well.

My GF uses the Express Tech with 35 lbs horseshoe bladder which has two lower dump valves. She normally uses the exhaust button on her inflator hose. I do similarly when diving doubles and using the 65 lbs horseshoe bladder on my BP with my set of doubles.

Isn't there a pull dump on the inflator hose also?
I will be buying something else
What size is it and what are you asking for it?

I need an XL...

thx,

Why, you looking for a date? :blinking: I'm 5'9", 155 lbs, and I enjoy golfing, diving, and long walks on the beach ...

I'm not fond of U-shaped bladders either since I have a strong preference for using the bottom dump much of the time. I totally hated the couple I've tried. I'd expect any U-shaped bladder to behave pretty similarly, it's simple physics - so if you didn't like this one I'd definitely look for a donut type. While having a dump on both sides of a U might allow another way to get the air out of both sides I really don't think you'd want to be messing with 2 dumps to get the air out of both sides, at that point repositioning your body would be more convieneint.

Lots of people like U's just fine and I think it is somewhat a function of setup and diving style, and maybe the size of the bladder. Some argue that the tank will squish and limit the airflow at the bottom of a donut so it's effectively a U, but I think that is a function of the design, and maybe would be more pronounced with a larger bladder. For a small tropical rig a U makes intuitively less sense to me.

Hmmm... I hadn't though of the tank squishing the donut into a U. Now I'm wondering if a dual-release U might be best for me after all. Damselfish, I assume you use a donut? Have you ever encountered that squishing problem? (I'm wondering if that's an actual issue that people have experienced with donuts or if it's just theoretical)

Back
Top Bottom