My First Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rupert Vidion:
Now all I need is to go back with a set of doubles, a cave reel, a primary light, a DPV, Decompression Procedures, Cave 1, Cave 2 and 200 more hours of diving.

Reading that kind of left me thinking he knows he needs more training. I think this thread would be much more fun to read if people actually answered his question . . .

... I think this thread would be much more fun to read if people actually answered his question . . .
oh... ok...
Does anyone remember their first proper cave?
Yes.
Morrison spring, upper cave (last time I checked this was no longer there - filled completely with silt).
It was real, real stupid to go in there, but I was young and immortal at the time.
Rick

Reading that kind of left me thinking he knows he needs more training. I think this thread would be much more fun to read if people actually answered his question . . .

Agreed, it would be more fun. And I think the fact that he stated the need for more training has kept the thread mostly positive.

But there are still a lot of us that feel a responsibility, whether real or imagined, to inject a bit of reality into responses, to keep this experience magic, rather than tragic.

Oh sure, we covered all the usual warnings in my BOW class, about diving deep, having a buddy, etc. We talked about animal life, not touching coral and all that other stuff. But I can't recall ever talking about the dangers of caves, probably because there is nothing remotely like this type of OE anywhere near here.

My experiences in Mexico left me awed and a little scared, both during and after, but I wasn't nearly as scared as I should have been. Luckily it caused me to seek additional training, just as it seems to have for the OP.

To me, simply acknowledging this thread and glorifying responses without injecting a dose of reality would be to do it a disservice.

oh... ok...

Yes.
Morrison spring, upper cave (last time I checked this was no longer there - filled completely with silt).
It was real, real stupid to go in there, but I was young and immortal at the time.
Rick

If that's the area I'm thinking, we explored it a bit just before Morrison was closed for "renovations." Low, silty little area, but wasn't quite as nasty as we were expecting just by looking at it.

Oh sure, we covered all the usual warnings in my BOW class, about diving deep, having a buddy, etc. We talked about animal life, not touching coral and all that other stuff. But I can't recall ever talking about the dangers of caves, probably because there is nothing remotely like this type of OE anywhere near here.

To me, simply acknowledging this thread and glorifying responses without injecting a dose of reality would be to do it a disservice.

I agree CD. There are several people who read these threads. Those who are uninformed or misinformed about the potential dangers of cave diving might not appreciate not only the wonderment of cave diving but it's consequences as well.

I was a cave diver before I was an Instructor. That experience has made me feel that all OW students should be educated about the dangers of cave diving. Since I often take students to Vortex Springs for their certification (which has a cave contrary to many divers beliefs), I try to make sure that my students know what a cave looks like and point out what the Grim Reaper sign looks like. More importantly, they know WHY they should not go into a cave. Because dive sites may have a cave associated with them, I do feel that an education about the dangers of caves should be included in their overall diving education. It might be nice to include the videos in Rick's post as a part of that education.

My first experience in a cave was as an AOW student at Vortex Springs. My Instructor took me down to the grate to do my deep dive. At the time, I had no idea I was actually in a cave. After taking a cave course, I understood the magnitude of what I had done and wanted to make sure my future students understood that concept as well.

My first experience as a cave diver was in Peacock after our last certification dive. It was beautiful to just relax and dive :).

My favorite cave training experience was in my GUE Cave 2 class. I was nervous and anxious but it was actually the MOST relaxed I have ever felt diving. The entire team was on the same page and everyone did as they were supposed to. I was so proud of how well we performed as a group and that I did not let my team mates down.

My favorite cave dives were in Mexico. I had no idea that caves actually had intact formations!! WOW what an experience. Also saw my first halocline. Those are the types of caves that make cave diving addicting to me. Gorgeous!!

Sorry for listing all of my favorites. Reading this thread sent me down memory lane :D

If that's the area I'm thinking, we explored it a bit just before Morrison was closed for "renovations." Low, silty little area, but wasn't quite as nasty as we were expecting just by looking at it.
It's off to the left at the rear of the upper cavern... one of those little "let's just go have a look, we can just turn around and come back out" places that can bite you real easy.
It was only much later that I learned that more than one body'd been pulled out of there over the years... And it was only after cave training that it fully dawned on me how easily I could have bit it in there... funny thing, I was perfectly relaxed when I was in there; years later, thinking back on it with the benefit of time, training and thoughtful consideration, it scared the livin' hell out of me!
:D
Rick

I was a cave diver before I was an Instructor. That experience has made me feel that all OW students should be educated about the dangers of cave diving. Since I often take students to Vortex Springs for their certification (which has a cave contrary to many divers beliefs), I try to make sure that my students know what a cave looks like and point out what the Grim Reaper sign looks like. More importantly, they know WHY they should not go into a cave. Because dive sites may have a cave associated with them, I do feel that an education about the dangers of caves should be included in their overall diving education. It might be nice to include the videos in Rick's post as a part of that education.

I've been showing these videos to students ever since moving to Florida. I even have them on my website in the Diving the fresh water springs link.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom