My First Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Since I often take students to Vortex Springs ...
At Vortex I have my OW students write in their logbooks the following:
"I have been briefed and I will not go into the cave" signed & dated - before they ever get in the water.
Rick

Rick, Here is a picture I took of SuprBugMan coming out of the place you are talking about...I took this a few months ago. Notice he was running a line in there.

mattsidetunnel.jpg

Morrison spring, upper cave (last time I checked this was no longer there - filled completely with silt).
It was real, real stupid to go in there, but I was young and immortal at the time.
Rick

Rupert, I just saw your edit. Thank you for clarifying. Just to clear something up for you, the cavern zone is the part of the cave where you can still see light. In the cave you can't see light. But even with that, a line should always be run. I have been in what is usually a cavern zone and not able to see daylight. In situations like that you need the line to get you out of the overhead. Your buddy should know this.

Rick, Here is a picture I took of SuprBugMan coming out of the place you are talking about...I took this a few months ago. Notice he was running a line in there.
That's it... glad to see it's cleared back out.
Rick

Rupert, I just saw your edit. Thank you for clarifying. Just to clear something up for you, the cavern zone is the part of the cave where you can still see light. In the cave you can't see light. But even with that, a line should always be run. I have been in what is usually a cavern zone and not able to see daylight. In situations like that you need the line to get you out of the overhead. Your buddy should know this.
When the cavern gets "blown out" - and many take only a single kick to do it - it's a cave. Few open water divers have been trained in the kicks and techniques to avoid doing it.
It is my strongest recommendation that every open water diver take the cavern course (and rescue).
Rick

When the cavern gets "blown out" - and many take only a single kick to do it - it's a cave. Few open water divers have been trained in the kicks and techniques to avoid doing it.
It is my strongest recommendation that every open water diver take the cavern course (and rescue).
Rick

divers aren't the only thing that can blow out a cavern
I've seen a heavy rain do it at peacock 3

divers aren't the only thing that can blow out a cavern
I've seen a heavy rain do it at peacock 3
Good point.
Rick

Pothole tunnel was my first cave. It's not really my favorite but I'll never forget it.

There were a ton of eels in that upper cave at Morrison and lots of sad evidence in the carvings on the walls that others have been in there :(

ginnie ballroom. right out of ow, like post class dive 2. got bit hard that day!

Intro cave course, the flow was really kicking and I fought (no technique) to get into the cave and out of the flow. I didn't make it to the chimmey! But I was hooked. The rest of scuba diving took a back seat to learning how to master the cave.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom