My First CenoteXperience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ringmod65

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently had the good fortune of spending some time with Nicolas of CenoteXperience, based in the Riviera Maya.

Not having had any experience with cenote diving, a little Scubaboard research in advance of my first trip to Cozumel first revealed that cenote diving is on the mainland. No problem. Although the missus had wanted a week of mindless relaxation at an all-inclusive, I planned on as many dive adventures as possible - even if they did entail a dawn ferry ride to the mainland.

The second thing that my research revealed is that the best way to experience the cenotes is with a dedicated guide. I emailed several such guides and decided to go with the first one to get back to me. [Note to dive ops and independent guides: Check and answer your email. I can't give you my business if I can't get in touch with you. Also, prominently list actual prices on your website. When I first began to explore the option of using a private guide, I had no idea of the associated cost. CenoteXperience actually lists prices for various options, and I was happy to see that the cost was not prohibitive.] Having come across a couple of positive mentions of Nicolas of CenoteXperience I decided that I would avail myself of his knowledge of the area and specific sites.

Through our email correspondence, I let Nicolas know that I was interested in some of the lesser traveled sites, but that otherwise it would be "Guide's Choice". He quickly responded and we agreed to meet at the ferry dock in Playa Del Carmen in the early morning. After a quick stop for another diver, we made our way to Angelita, a very unique site to say the least. After the usual paperwork and a careful and complete briefing we entered the water (easier said than done!) and descended 130' through fresh water, a layer of sulphurous / tannic water, and then finally salt water. I'm sure that much has been written about the experience of ascending through these haloclines, but nothing can compare to the experience. I saw a shade of blue that I swear I had never seen before.

We ran out the rest of the day diving both Gran Cenote and Cenote Calavera (a/k/a "Temple of Doom"). Each site was quite unique, but absolutely breathtaking to dive. Throughout the day Nicolas was extremely helpful - graciously sharing his deep reserve of knowledge as well as his obvious passion for diving the cenotes. As an extremely safety conscious diver, I was pleased with Nicolas' attention to detail and insistence upon following strict procedures, including the rule of thirds. The lunch he packed, including sandwiches, fruit, cookies, water and juice was perfect for an active day.

In short, I have been bitten by the cenote / cavern bug and for the first time am seriously considering expanding my training to include cave diving. Just how smitten did I become? Upon returning back to Cozumel I immediately contacted Nicolas to arrange another day. For this trip my (non-diving) wife accompanied me for a tour of the Riviera Maya and specifically Tulum. In order to maximize our time for a guided tour of the area, Nicolas decided upon the popular Dos Ojos site. We arrived before anyone else and enjoyed two leisurely dives. Finished with diving, my wife took center stage and focused on various destinations within the area. We both fell instantly and completely in love with Tulum, where we plan to spend our next trip. With his wide network of friends and associates, Nicolas was most helpful in the role of "insider" tour guide. The highlight of the afternoon was lunch at one of the most exclusive hotels in Tulum thanks to Nicolas' connections.

In short, I had a wonderful introduction to the cenotes specifically, and cavern diving more generally. Nicolas is a fantastic guide. I look forward to diving with him again.

Best.

Oh, I really enjoyed reading your account! We pretty much had the same experience with coming over and diving the cenotes . . . we cut out another day of reef diving, to get back there (and I'd already scheduled two days in the caves). For those of us who are susceptible, it takes only a brief exposure to the cave bug to build a lasting addiction :)

Dave - Thanks for posting about your experience. I understand the bug all too well. The cenotes were my first fresh water dives (yes, even before Dutch Springs or the St Lawrence River).

I tell everyone that the cenotes stole my heart and I am not getting it back. :D

Hi Lynne and Sam,

Having read accounts of your experiences, both of you were in my thoughts last week.

The hardest part was returning to Coz for - mere - reef diving. :wink:

As someone once said, "How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they see the lights of the big city."!

Best.

Yup -- we had three people standing in a parking lot yesterday, in front of a dive site where I've seen up to seven octopuses in one dive, as well as my only six gill shark . . . and all three of us said that, if we could give up Puget Sound and dive caves all the time, that's what we'd do. We got a lot of odd looks from the folks who had never been cave diving . . . :)

Finished with diving, my wife took center stage and focused on various destinations within the area. We both fell instantly and completely in love with Tulum, where we plan to spend our next trip.

Looks like you are coming back to Tulum very soon.
Greetings for both.

Those first guided cenote dives definitely sucked me in.

Thanks for sharing the picture, hope to see you soon down here.
Cheers.

Attachments

• DSCN1617.jpg
    DSCN1617.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 104
looking forward to diving dreamgates with you this weekend. nicolas, i will call your cell when i get to akumal. see you then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom