my first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimclarke:
Dives were mostly square profile (from the boat to the bottom) and we used air consumption and cold as good guides to time. With a watch added we knew exactly what we were doing. Clearly no computer needed!

More recently I started making business trips to warm places and diving at weekends with commercial operations who provide air and dive marshalls.
I was no longer planning and leading the dive.

That is strictly the case in many places around the world, and there is often a good reason for it.

If you are diving a place (like Cozumel) that has strong currents and the standard procedure is drift diving and dive flags are not possible, then the boat cannot have every pair doing their own individual pre-planned profiles. If you are drift diving with surface flags (as in the Fort Lauderdale area), it is no problem for the boat to keep track of everyone; withiout those flags, it is important for people to stay in a group.

In other cases, a DM in the water is essential to find a target site. Try to find the Devil's throat (Cozumel) entrance without a guide. In Yap, our guide himself missed the opening for Yap Caverns--we would not have had any chance on our own. In Truk Lagoon, the guides provide you the opportunity to explore regions of the wrecks you would never find on your own, or never get out of if you did.

In these cases, you are indeed surrendering some of the planning responsibility to your guide, and I do it in those circumstances without hesitation. You should not put yourself totally in the hands of your guide, though. You should know before committing to the water what kind of a profile you are capable of doing with the surface interval you have had, and you should be ready and willing to overrule a DM who is leading you astray--and I have done so on several occasions. You also have more control over the planning than you might think. For example, in Truk Lagoon recently, my buddy and I discussed with a guide what we wanted to see when we wanted to get into the more challenging areas of a wreck, but we also told him when we planned to go in, based upon our own analysis of the surface interval we needed since the previous dive.

Allison Finch:
Hmmm Foggymask is either a newly (or recently) certified kid, or a person who enjoys needless flaming. Either way.....boring.

Hard to say. His profile is a farce.

I agree on the profile, perhaps he's a wannabe diver ?????

it's taken me more than 2 decades to get over 3k dives, and i've only hit below 300 very few times. (was diving mixed with instructor).

JungleJoe:
I agree on the profile, perhaps he's a wannabe diver ?????

it's taken me more than 2 decades to get over 3k dives, and i've only hit below 300 very few times. (was diving mixed with instructor).

Look at everything else there--those are the most realistic claims. He clearly does not have any thought that anything in his profile will be taken seriously. Hence, I don't take anything in his posts seriously.

Yeah, I agree 100% w/you !

just an internet rabble rouser....... their everywhere.

too bad we don't have some sort of Advantage Plus we can put on msg boards for those bugs :)

Sorry to pick on you Froggy, but I think your just seeking attention by being annoying, my 2 yr old does a good job of that. I'd rather see real information in your posts, or post in the humor forums if you wanna be funny.

anyways to get back on topic, Oceanic Data pro plus II is my pick !

with a analog spare just in case

The ignore list is a wonderful thing, it's a wonderful thing..

That's one of the unfortunate things about Scubaboard. I noticed pretty quickly that there is a lot of ranting and raving and hurt egos. It's unfortunate, because this is such a good forum for information exchange. Take a look through this thread. The OP just wanted some thoughts on what computers to consider. My guess is that he really wanted to know if the two he was looking at were appropriate for him, had any problems, or if there were others he should be considering. He got precious little guidance here. Sad.

xsports:
so as you can tell am a pretty new diver..Im buying my first computer.I am interested in the pro plus 2 or the Vt3 but im just not advanced enough to know which one to get.Can anyone help me or would even like to share there story?:confused: Thanks so much

Getting back to the topic, both are good computers. When chosing a computer, it comes down to what you want. The cheapest will do the job. The high end will have wireless air integration and more alarms than you can shake a stick at.

Do you want wrist or console mount? Wrist mount is a little easier to read and employ. OTOH, My wrist mount was afraid to go diving with me and was easy to forget. It also got in the way when gearing up, and I was always afraid the strap would break. I went with a console mount Veo 250 and put my Alladin Prime in a pocket as a backup.

Most have backlights, and that's important after dark. All but the cheapest handle Nitrox - you will want this capability at some point.

Alarms - All I have ever wanted were ascent rate, depth and PP02(for nitrox) mostly they are standard for computers.

Air integrated - OK, but you still need a backup SPG. Wrist mount wireless to boot? That's a good way to lose a VERY expensive piece of gear.

Look at the comp in the shop - are the digits big enough for you to read? Do you think the screen has too little info, is it too cluttered, is it labelled well

Don't know if this helped, but most computers do the calcs well and give the warnings you need. Beyond that, it's about preferences.

I recommend the Suunto Mosquito easy to use, wrist mount (lets you keep your manual guages as a backup), Nitrox capable, and User replacable battery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom