My first "Emergency"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Riger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have just returned from a liveaboard in the Red Sea and had my first underwater "emergency". It involved my ScubaPro Air2 hose connector;

Before going on the trip, I had my reg set serviced and did 2 dives on a daily boat as a means to be sure that all was working fine.

After the 3rd day on the liveaboard, during the "emergency" dive at about 20m/60ft, I became aware of a moderate stream of bubbles escaping from connector on my LP hose leading to the reg and inflator buttons. I asked my buddy to watch me whilst I disconnected and reconnected it. This did nothing to abate the flow of air, so my buddy came over to take a look. As he disconnected it, the front end of the connector came off in his hand, resulting in a freeflow from the hose. As you can imagine there was a significant exposion of air and the hose whipping around all over the show. (Witnesses in a zodiac the surface reported an explosion of air on the surface that was 2m/6' above the surface)

He donated me his primary, went to his secondary and then closed my tank. His 7' hose allowed me to hang from a d-ring at waist heght on his BCD and out of the way to his side whilst he took us to the safety stop and launced an SMB.

We went back to the boat, realised the the whole connecter had "become unscrewed" and was probably 1/8th screwed on when I entered the water. We connected and tightened the connector, filled the tanks and did some testing at 10m, we then proceeded to complete the dive without further incident.

I have subsequently phoned the techie at place where the Regs were serviced and he confirmed that that aspect/part of the reg did/does fall within the scope of the service. To be honest, he was shocked and has asked me to return the reg so he can inspect and re-do the service on it as part of his own investigation. The whole experience was very valuable to me especially considering the outcome and I have no interest in pointing fngers, but rather to find the source of the failure and prevent it from happening again.

The experience has gotten me thinking though, and here are some points of consideration and perhaps discussion I'd like to raise here;

1. Because of the relative uniqness (read: not commonplace) of Air2, there is a risk that any breakage or significant failure of the reg set and/or bcd, could leave one in a situation of no available spares and thus no diving. This is more pertainent on a liveaboard or in remote locations. - I am now considering the possibility of retro-fitting a regular regulater as an octo and placing it on a long hose.

2. Becasue there are more parts associated with an Air2 there is a greater risk of failure and in such a situation it places the inflator hose, the regulator and the air supply at risk. - As with #1 above, considering the retro-fit to a regular inflator hose and connector for the bcd.

3. The comfort of the 7' hose I was breathing from during the ascent allowed me to effectively get out of the face of my buddy so that he could focus on getting us out of the water safely. - No question that my (new) octo will be on a long hose when I get it.

4. I was under the (false) impression that HP and LP hoses that rupture would give a huge amount (20 minutes +) of freeflow before depleting the (full) tank. It appears that this may be true for HP freeflow, but it is certainly not the case with a LP freeflow. Initial findings (my own google searches) seem to show that this is more like 2 minutes at less than 5m/15' for a LP freeflow.

As I said earlier, this has been a good experience for me and the calm management of the situation by my buddy was key to the outcome. It has made me think more of these types of situations and I hope that further discussion here on the scubaboard will be beneficial to other novice divers such as myself.

Best Regards
Richard.

Wow, that must have seemed like a volcano to the people in the boat! 2m / 6ft high!!! if it came unscrewed then thats hard luck but to be honest, if it was so far unscrewed then you or your buddy should have noticed it when you geared up as I am sure that it must have been leaking at the surface!
I do not like Air 2 systems and do not use then, keep it simple is my thing!
Anyway, well done for keeping what could have been a real problem from happening!

Very well done. I have recently removed air2 from my wing (I do a lot of solo diving) and replaced this with the long hose and necklaced octo. After reading about your experience I am more pleased that I've done so. Again, good job, calmly done.

.... if it was so far unscrewed then you or your buddy should have noticed it when you geared up as I am sure that it must have been leaking at the surface! .......

I understand how it seems that one would have noticed a leak on the surface, trust me, we did a negative entry from the zodiak and stopped at 5m to check "All OK", there was no leak observed. I have to assume that inflating the bcd with a small burst at 20m may have caused the initial "moderate leak" which was the first sign of any problem.

I have just returned from a liveaboard in the Red Sea and had my first underwater "emergency". It involved my ScubaPro Air2 hose connector;

Before going on the trip, I had my reg set serviced and did 2 dives on a daily boat as a means to be sure that all was working fine.

After the 3rd day on the liveaboard, during the "emergency" dive at about 20m/60ft, I became aware of a moderate stream of bubbles escaping from connector on my LP hose leading to the reg and inflator buttons. I asked my buddy to watch me whilst I disconnected and reconnected it. This did nothing to abate the flow of air, so my buddy came over to take a look. As he disconnected it, the front end of the connector came off in his hand, resulting in a freeflow from the hose. As you can imagine there was a significant exposion of air and the hose whipping around all over the show. (Witnesses in a zodiac the surface reported an explosion of air on the surface that was 2m/6' above the surface)

He donated me his primary, went to his secondary and then closed my tank. His 7' hose allowed me to hang from a d-ring at waist heght on his BCD and out of the way to his side whilst he took us to the safety stop and launced an SMB.

We went back to the boat, realised the the whole connecter had "become unscrewed" and was probably 1/8th screwed on when I entered the water. We connected and tightened the connector, filled the tanks and did some testing at 10m, we then proceeded to complete the dive without further incident.

I have subsequently phoned the techie at place where the Regs were serviced and he confirmed that that aspect/part of the reg did/does fall within the scope of the service. To be honest, he was shocked and has asked me to return the reg so he can inspect and re-do the service on it as part of his own investigation. The whole experience was very valuable to me especially considering the outcome and I have no interest in pointing fngers, but rather to find the source of the failure and prevent it from happening again.

The experience has gotten me thinking though, and here are some points of consideration and perhaps discussion I'd like to raise here;

1. Because of the relative uniqness (read: not commonplace) of Air2, there is a risk that any breakage or significant failure of the reg set and/or bcd, could leave one in a situation of no available spares and thus no diving. This is more pertainent on a liveaboard or in remote locations. - I am now considering the possibility of retro-fitting a regular regulater as an octo and placing it on a long hose.

2. Becasue there are more parts associated with an Air2 there is a greater risk of failure and in such a situation it places the inflator hose, the regulator and the air supply at risk. - As with #1 above, considering the retro-fit to a regular inflator hose and connector for the bcd.

3. The comfort of the 7' hose I was breathing from during the ascent allowed me to effectively get out of the face of my buddy so that he could focus on getting us out of the water safely. - No question that my (new) octo will be on a long hose when I get it.

4. I was under the (false) impression that HP and LP hoses that rupture would give a huge amount (20 minutes +) of freeflow before depleting the (full) tank. It appears that this may be true for HP freeflow, but it is certainly not the case with a LP freeflow. Initial findings (my own google searches) seem to show that this is more like 2 minutes at less than 5m/15' for a LP freeflow.

As I said earlier, this has been a good experience for me and the calm management of the situation by my buddy was key to the outcome. It has made me think more of these types of situations and I hope that further discussion here on the scubaboard will be beneficial to other novice divers such as myself.

Best Regards
Richard.

I rather think that if your HP (high pressure) hose was to rupture then you would have significantly less time than with a ruptured LP (low pressure). By their very nature high pressure hoses are capable of discharging a much higher volume of gas than low pressure in the same amount of time......

I rather think that if your HP (high pressure) hose was to rupture then you would have significantly less time than with a ruptured LP (low pressure). By their very nature high pressure hoses are capable of discharging a much higher volume of gas than low pressure in the same amount of time......

Not so, low pressure hose drains much quicker because of the larger opening.

Are you sure you are sure ? :no:

As it turns out, the LP Valve is required to deliver gas at ambient pressure and therefore has the capacity to deliver a greater volume of gass.

The HP valve on the other hand is only required (as far as I know) to provide the ability to measure the pressure inside the cylinder and therefore has a small aperture and as such only has the capacity to "deliver" (in a freeflow situation) a small amount of gas.

In short the HP valve/hose does not deliver gas (under normal circumstances), it only provides access to the cylinder for pressure readings. (I am not a techie, so if I am misguided in this description, please correct me).

Best Regards

Richard

If you examine your HP hose you'll see it only has a pin-hole opening where it screws into the 1st stage. It takes a long time to empty a tank through this tiny orifice. When we did OW we were taught that in an emergency you can cut the HP hose to breathe off in a relatively comfortable manner. :wink:

(Witnesses in a zodiac the surface reported an explosion of air on the surface that was 2m/6' above the surface)

First of all, it is always tough coming (so thank you for posting this) here and posting things because you know people will pick it apart. Some tactfully....some not so much. Hopefully I can land on the side with tact.

I will be honest and say that I had a tough time getting past this comment to continue reading. What exactly is this saying? Is this saying that the surface of the water was "boiling" 6 feet in the air from the expanding air from your HP hose?

Having never seen this for myself, I would expect this to be a 4 or a 5 foot "expansion of the truth" but I will ask anybody who may have first hand experience.

Beyond that, I agree that I am shocked that a surface check did not point out the problem. If the thread was all but 1/8 unscrewed, I would not expect it to hold much of a seal. Does your surface check include for both power inflating as well as orally inflating your BCD?

I am not a fan of the Air2 but know people dive them safely so I will not comment on the product but will say I am glad you and your buddy maintained your composure and surface safely. That is always the best ending to an underwater problem (or issue).

Glad that you, and your buddy kept their heads and managed a very distracting event very well :)

I have the air2 and carry a fitting to adapt a regular BC inflator hose to it if my reg craps out and I have to use a rental reg .. to go the other way and use a rental BC, just remove the large air2 fitting from your regs BC hose

I also know the limitations of having one on my BC, and I went to a 42" hose on my primary reg to facilitate air sharing

It was the low pressure hose , going to the BC
and if I remember correctly, it will drain your tank much faster than a HP hose cause of the larger inside diameter

Back
Top Bottom