My First Lion Fish Meal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although this is an interesting sidebar, and it's something do do with the lionfish kill other than just dumping the bodies, I really don't see this as adding another significant food source or giving much incentive to harvesting lionfish for food. There is just not enough meat per fish and they are too difficult to handle safely in quantity.
Your really are a negative dude man.

Although this is an interesting sidebar, and it's something do do with the lionfish kill other than just dumping the bodies, I really don't see this as adding another significant food source or giving much incentive to harvesting lionfish for food. There is just not enough meat per fish and they are too difficult to handle safely in quantity.
We sure didn't have any problem bringing back enough quantity for the feast that Gabi cooked up for us. And that's after feeding the majority of the ones we killed to morays and other critters. Can't wait to go back for more! :D

ggunn--Have you seen the bigger lionfish that are being caught? I didn't know they could grow that big.

Somebody please...turn the Japanese on to Lion Fish! It will solve the problem in the Atlantic I suspect.

I've had smoked Lion Fish dip and Lion Fish Ceviche. Most excellent.

Somebody please...turn the Japanese on to Lion Fish! It will solve the problem in the Atlantic I suspect.
I've been saying we need to spread the rumor that eating lionfish is good for virility and penis enlargement. Think of all the sharks that would be saved if the Japanese would switch from shark fin soup to lionfish soup! :rofl3:

The problem with that logic is that they will then eradicate them in their natural habitat - where they are not a pest. They certainly are not gonna come to the Caribbean to fish when they're available closer to home. :(

The problem with that logic is that they will then eradicate them in their natural habitat - where they are not a pest. They certainly are not gonna come to the Caribbean to fish when they're available closer to home. :(
Great point! I hadn't thought of that. On the flip side, without natural predators, they may be more plentiful in the caribbean than in the Pacific. If there was major profit in it, I'm sure a lot of local Atlantic fisherman would love to make a living off of selling them to the Japanese.

They ARE more plentiful in the Atlantic, Caribbean, and Gulf...

GGunn: I really don't see this as adding another significant food source or giving much incentive to harvesting lionfish for food. There is just not enough meat per fish and they are too difficult to handle safely in quantity.

On the contrary, we killed about 25 that day and after cleaning the fish, we had well over a kilo of lionfish meat!

Watching the guys clean the fish, they easily snipped off the spines with scissors and fileting was extremely quick and easy.

On this particular trip, we were at Maracaibo shallow with Firstdive2005, ScubaDoc13, me and our friend Denise. Las Brisas (cantina) cooked them up for us that day and on another day we had enough for 6 people, where Money Bar cooked them for us. Las Brisas sauteed them with galic and butter and also made aside of ceviche. All delicious!!

Sadly, there are plenty of places for us to kill lionfish and they are quite large.

ScubaDoc13 and Omar(Dive Master/Dive Paradise)

mid_639-E4153295D3694D03B999CD2E86017F15.jpg

Sauteed Lionfish and Lionfish Ceviche

mid_639-24235E7509164830BEABC876713C5455.jpg

Back
Top Bottom