My First Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
I just completed my first night dive last night. Had a great dive at La Jolla Shores in San Diego. Saw squid, Bat Rays, jelly fish which tend to glow when you shine your light on them. The only problem I had was trying to coordinate everything during my ascent. I need to hold my low pressure inflator hose while at the same time hold my dive computer to make sure I am not ascending to fast and also hold my light. I only have two hands. What I ended up doing was letting the light hang from my BC and then use the bult in light on the Cobra. Is this the correct thing to do?

AquaGuy once bubbled...
I just completed my first night dive last night. Had a great dive at La Jolla Shores in San Diego. Saw squid, Bat Rays, jelly fish which tend to glow when you shine your light on them. The only problem I had was trying to coordinate everything during my ascent. I need to hold my low pressure inflator hose while at the same time hold my dive computer to make sure I am not ascending to fast and also hold my light. I only have two hands. What I ended up doing was letting the light hang from my BC and then use the bult in light on the Cobra. Is this the correct thing to do?
Did it work?

Actually the best thing to do is shine your light on the little *stuff* in the water and use that as a visual reference for ascending... check your gauge once in a while to see where you are at.

I've got a post around here somewhere on using the stuff in the water for slow controlled ascents... do a search on stuff

It appeared to work fine. The dive computer was kind of hard to see since my mask was fogged up a little. I guess I could do the asscend no faster than my slowest bubble trick. I think I would feel safer looking at my dive computer.

... but the reality is that you cannot control your ascent looking at your computer... there is a lag time between going up and the computer registering and displaying that information as well as a lag time in your response to that information. By the time you figure out you are going up too fast you are already going up too fast.

Practice watching stuff in the water while making slow ascents from 20' to 10'... burn a tank doing this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom