My first OW experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travis99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well today was my first time diving outside of a pool. We dove in a quarry, the water temp was 39 degrees, we dove in wetsuits and my mask kept flooding and I had on the wrong type of hood and the rented wetsuit was too big so water kept getting down my back. Not a real great experience, I got in two dives, we were supposed to do three, but my ears were killing me so I called the last dive off.

Not such a good first time out.

T

That's not a great way to start. Our LDS runs classes as early as April and as late as late Nov. using wetsuits in 35-45 F water. I guess if the demand is there.....

Well today was my first time diving outside of a pool. We dove in a quarry, the water temp was 39 degrees, we dove in wetsuits and my mask kept flooding and I had on the wrong type of hood and the rented wetsuit was too big so water kept getting down my back. Not a real great experience, I got in two dives, we were supposed to do three, but my ears were killing me so I called the last dive off.

Not such a good first time out.

T

Hey Travis - don't be discouraged - it WILL get better.

I did my 1st OW dives like you - April in a quarry - blew out an eardrum trying to eq on the 1st dive - climbed back in the ice-cold wetsuit for dive 2. I laugh now but I can almost feel it again reading your post.

IMHO - Once you get certified, I would consider buying exposure protection of your own - you can rent the rest of the gear until you are ready to buy, but the ill-fitting wetsuit will cause issues on any further dives (esoecially cold ones) - will also throw off your buoyancy too (trapped air will force you to overweight, leading to quicker air consumption, yada yada)

Good luck on the rest of the OW cert dives.

John

Thanks everyone, I really want to get my cert but I am having a tough time. I don't want to rush just to get the cert, I don't care if it takes me longer, I just want to make sure I am comfortable and I am doing everything right. I think the class we are taking is slightly rushed. Just out of curiosity what is the normal length of time to get ow, aow, stress & rescue, dry suit, limited vis, navigation and deep water?

Thanks everyone, I really want to get my cert but I am having a tough time. I don't want to rush just to get the cert, I don't care if it takes me longer, I just want to make sure I am comfortable and I am doing everything right. I think the class we are taking is slightly rushed. Just out of curiosity what is the normal length of time to get ow, aow, stress & rescue, dry suit, limited vis, navigation and deep water?

If you wait until you 'get everything right' you're going to be in a wheelchair before you get in the ocean.

As far as getting ow, aow, stress and rescue, drysuit, limited vis, nav and deep water, I bet there's a PADI course for that, you can probably do it in a weekend. If you push hard enough you might even get them to throw in a free golf ball certification.

idoc's advice notwithstanding - it all depends on your comfort levels before moving on but don't rush or be pushed into something you are not ready to do - even if they do throw in the free golfball course :D

OW & then some easy dives before moving ahead.

By comparison, I did OW--> about 15 dives --> AOW--> 10 dives --> Wreck\deep\nav\buoyancy (not in 1 weekend - LOL) --> a bunch of dives --> Rescue--> now DM

Not saying this is the way to go but by the time I hit rescue, I was really comfortable in the water.

Good luck

travis99

39F in a wetsuit can be managed for short dives if it's the right suit, a perfect fit and you are cold tolerant. The suits I'm thinking of are rarely on a rental rack and if your fit wasn't spot on the cold you will be. That's OK you're paying your dues. As you start looking for your own suit this page may be helpful.

Good cal on stopping for your ears. Actually great call. IMO an instructor that wants to take wetsuit OW candidates into 39F water 3 times in a day is eager to finish the class and discourage the students. Enough is enough, You'll have a good jump on the season as it is. Enjoy it all.

All in all certification dives are not known for being a good time. A veteran diver told me as I was starting that diving is nothing like getting certified. Grin & bear it, the stuff is important. it will get easier and be worth all of the effort.

Beyond OW there is no normal development period.

As an OW diver you should be equipped to make reasonable dives with a peer, or mentor. I suggest getting out there and making a few dozen dives to get familiar with what you just learned. When that stuff begins to be second nature expand your horizons with OW.

Generally after AOW Rescue Diver will make you a very well rounded diver.

Do drysuit when you get a drysuit.

If you have a dive intensive vacation planned or begin to hit your NDL (ending your dives due to nitrogen limits, no low air) pick up a nitrox course.

Nitrox and drysuit can often be bundled as part or AOW. The drysuit class is often a freebie with a new suit so that may b be the best option for that.

I you have any technical aspirations, take your time. That sort of diving requires a solid foundation found more in diving that training. Don't rush to technical, there is plenty to do prior to that.

Dive with a spirit of continuous improvement and you'll do great.

Pete

We almost never certify students in water that cold. That being said, we are going to do one in this coming week because he has a special need to get it done right away. We are not going to do it with him in a wet suit, though. We are going to give him dry suit training and have him wear one from the rental equipment.

Please don't be discouraged. You will probably never have dives like that again.

Good cal on stopping for your ears. Actually great call. IMO an instructor that wants to take wetsuit OW candidates into 39F water 3 times in a day is eager to finish the class and discourage the students. Enough is enough

+1 on this statement.

Back
Top Bottom