My first Pool Dive -- Long !! & need help to float for session #2 tomorrow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
How bad do i want to do this ?? read on and you decide.

It was 83 degree here last saturday and 48 on Sunday. As a result i got a sudden very high fever and major headache on Sunday and didint sleep well into Monday morning.

Monday 90% of my fever was gone but i still have headache from the lack of sleep and the fever. It was 58 on Monday and it supposed to be our first pool session. NO WETSUIT WAS GIVEN TO US !!!!! I thought i am going to be a dead meat for the rest of the week !!

Went to the pool, thank god the water was heated to 80 degree !
Insutrcutor had us do 6 laps as swim test. OK i was the slowest but i managed to finish the distance. Couldnt do the flowting test as some swim club was using the deep end of the pool ! (THANK GOD)

Next, we were taught about setting & checking up all equipments, BC, Tank,SPG, Reg ...etc. Practice hand signals on checking Tank Pressure ....etc. Overall we spent 1 hour at the pool on Monday. We didint do much but it was really thrilling breathing from the REG for the first time !!

Guess what ?? i didint go to the EMS nor died from my fiasco :)
I actually felt a little better after the pool session. I also noticed that i used up quite a chunk of air 300 psi for 20 minutes. How do you relax ??

Tomorrow is pool session # 2 and it supposed to be 67 degree !! BUt i am kinda anxious of the float test ?? can i just float horizontally on my back instead of vertical ??

Whats the trick ?? Never look down at the bottom of the pool ??

I CANT WAIT TO DIVE IN AGAIN !!

First, welcome! Sounds like you've got the dive bug, alright!

Now to answer some questions...
>>How do you relax ??
This will come with practice and experience.

>>can i just float horizontally on my back instead of vertical ??
If I recall correctly, and there are enough instructors on the board who can correct me if I'm wrong, this is the treading water test. All you have to do is stay on the surface of the water without swimming: you can tread, float, scull, whatever to pass the test.

And for some observations- your instructor is there to answer questions, so hammer away! Part of his job is to tell you what to expect and how to deal with it. It's also a good idea to keep him advised of your physical state: if you're feverish or actively sick, TELL THE INSTRUCTOR! He may advise you to re-schedule the pool dive, because congestion in your head will adversely affect your ability to equalize pressure. If you're feverish to the extent of impaired judgment, do not enter the pool!

Don't mean to scare you off- but your safety and well-being are at stake.

Keep us informed! You've got the go-get-it attitude, which really helps!

Dispite not feeling well, it sounds like you did great.

My first two pool sessions sound like something out of a slapstick movie.

At this point I envy you because you'll get to practice your skills in shallow water before doing so in deep water.

The last time I saw shallow water was when I snorkeled the length of the pool twice last weekend.

My instructor wasn't picky about how I floated for 10 minutes as long as I could do it without being rescued from the pool. :)

Sounds like you'll do fine.

It took me at least 30 minutes to swim 200 meters. I bet you beat me by a long shot.

Good luck, it sounds like you'll do great. I'm going nuts myself waiting for my third pool session this Saturday.

I just completed my classroom and pools sessions and my first two OW dives (two more this coming Sat.)

The first pool session, we had to swim 425 yards, tread water for 10 minutes and then swim under water (with no aids except little swimming goggles were allowed) for 50 feet. We were told at the beginning of the treading water portion that we COULD NOT float in any position except for vertical. That meant that we had to do the bicycle kick and use our arms to stay afloat. To make things interesting, there was some sort of banner strung across the pool about 10 feet above the water and the instructor tossed in a 8 inch ball for us to toss back and forth over the banner. It did the trick in making the time go faster.

BTW, out of six in the class, one person did not finish the swim, he did the treading water and didn't even attempt the underwater swim. Needless to say, he pulled himself out of the class. He admitted to the instructor that he was not in as good as shape as he thought he was and he did not want to hold up the rest of the class. Needless to say, we appreciated his candor and we all hoped that he will work at getting into better shape and someday complete the class.

The instructors at the LDS I have had most of my dealings with encourage people to try the "survival float" during the treading water test. You kind of float face first in the water and push yourself up whenever you need to take a breath.

For my divemaster tread test I relaxed on my back for 13 minutes and then treaded water for two minutes with my hands high above my head. My instructor passed me.

For my OW tread test my class passed the time talking about sex. It sure made the 10 minutes fly by.

Ask your instructor what he or she requires before you do the test. And relax. This stuff is fun. Don't worry. Your instructor won't let you drown in the pool.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
Which organization requires the 50ft uw swim?

I took the NAUI class

Mine was PADI OW, and our instructor said "no rules, float, tread, whatever, just as long as you dont touch the side, and you keep your head above water" basically the Dont drowned and you pass type thing, many people treaded, lots floated on thier backs, etc. the majority of the people did a combination of both, I treaded as long as I could till getting fairly tired, then floated, treaded a little more, then floated, etc. We talked some (did help pass time)

a 225yd swim, and most of us still make our students pass that standard. The "ten cycle" minimum standard is way too wimpy for me!

There are no "NAUI" standards for the float or survival swim as some call it, except for time and that there are NO WETSUITS (or other flotation) allowed. Some of my students relax sooooooo much that they almost fall asleep. Some have to keep kicking and/or sculling to keep their skinny little bodies afloat enough to survive.

Either way, the BEST way is to use your natural flotation to your advantage. Take a really deep breath and hold it for a tad. Let your chest rise and allow your head to lean back and be supported by the water. DON'T pass out mind you, but when you are ready for your next breath, push down with your hands (causing you to rise slightly) while you exhale and inhale fully BEFORE your mouth slips beneath the water. The air in your lungs will probably make you resurface, or you might need a light kick or two, and then rest and repeat. Some do not need to scull or kick at all, but then again some have to work at it. Just do your best to conserve your energy and you will do just GREAT!

The underwater swim is also best done completely relaxed. Hyperventilate three times (NO MORE THAN THAT!) and slip under the water. Take your first big breast stroke (hands all the way to your side) and frog kick AND GLIDE!!! Wait till your forward motion almost stops before your next stroke and kick. The LESS YOU MOVE in the beginning of this excercise the better you will do. Your movements will naturally increase as you near your goal, which is fine.

Learn to be a lazy diver! When at the surface, inflate your BC and fold your arms and legs... DON'T TREAD WATER!!! When under water become as nuetral as possible and learn to fold your hands here too. The cave kick (modified frog) lets you kick and glide while everyone else is constantly moving. You will conserve your air in this manner and look extremely comfortable as well. The less you move the better you look (and are) so use economy of motion and learn to be a calm, lazy diver.

We did the pool session # 2, finding the 2nd stage reg from the side, finding the 2nd stage reg from the 1st stage valve (following the 2nd stage cable/lines), full mask clearing, half mask clearing, search and breath from reg (by purge) and exhale/blow to reg (non purge).

Despite the notorious mask clearence problems, i dont have any and passed them as happy as a clamp. I do find that my contacts will get lost somewhere in my eyes though. So i just closed my eyes while doing the mask clearence.

I also did the free flow breathing and breathing without a mask (during our free time in the pool) and i dont find any problems with them at all.

However, i managed to inflate my BC a little under 15" ft and it skyrocketed me to the surface !! and my BC got caught with the swimming pool lanes. This gave me some experience as to not panic and remain calm !! even though all my instructor and my buddies are already ont he otherside of the pool !!

later, the instructor told me the danger of sudden inflation of BC and risk of lungs injury. :) i know , i know slowly inflate BC !!

Overall, my instructor is just a great guy. He is patient (with one student that needs more attention) and he is there for > 1 hr after we go back to the shop answering our additional questions (advance water, places to dive, BC equipment (of course pushing the zeagle brand that they are carrying :) but he is willing to get the bb/wings too if i wanted it. He also gave us some dive training magazines for free.

We asked about advanced open water and how soon we can start. He said he recommend us to have at least 10 dives before plunging in the AOW, so that we are 100% absorbed the OW stuff before taking in more AOW lessons. He welcomed us to join their 2 weekend dives a month travel and he is willing to be our buddies if we cant get anyone to go.

I definetly looking forward to take more classes (advance open water or beyond from him).

Cant wait till Monday ......... pool # 3

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom