My first Rant - Do Not Endanger Me or Ruin My Dive. I'm steamed...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when you find out about their "babysitting" intentions, or the "throw off a buddy on you" intentions, AFTER they have your money and you've left the dock!

DB - those are wonderful lines.... "couples only..." You're killing me. That is so perfect. who's gonna say no? Couples only...that is great. :)

This really makes me think - I mean, my dive prep doesn't only include or benefit me under water - I need to be prepared to stick to my plan BEFORE I hit the water. I need to be prepared to shed the insta-buddy,,,the tag along.

As this has never happened to me before, I was completely unprepared for this, and subsequently it impacted my trip.

I'm a very, intensely private person. I build hedges / silos around my wife and I all the time. We spend most of our time carving out a world that revolves around just the two of us. Doing same on a trip like this is a natural - brick wall city. Not being anti-social or tactless, just being cautious and protecting our interests first. Not to the extent that we ignore safety issues of others, etc.... Anyway, you get what I'm saying.

Like she and I spoke of in the car - its the two of us. We came, we dived, we had a kick it up time. Viz sucked, boat filled with rude bottom sifters...we still had a great time.

This doesn't mean we're blowing off the safety of a group - but it does mean we blow off the group when the group blows off their safety stop... (huh? :) )

Seriously - this has been enlightening. I need to expand my prep to include the insta-buddy scenario, and its close cousin, the "c'mon, just join us" scenario.

K

I'm not on those kinds of boats often and never will be. However when I'm out diving for fun nobody decides who I will dive with. I may be willing to dive with someone who needs a buddy but I'll decide that when the time comes and feel no obligation to dive with anyone unless I'm being paid. That said, I enjoy helping new divers and don't need to get paid for every little bit of help I offer but I don't feel bound to do it.

A supervisor/guide is ok if you need or want one but if I don't want one I won't be forced into having one.

If you don't have adequate say in the dive plan you won't have adequate control on the dive.

I agree with the others about accepting unknown buddies. It's your choice. If you don't want them, don't take them. OTOH, if you take them you're stuck with them. This does not mean you can't change your mind between dives. The unknown buddy screws up your first dive, you don't have to buddy with him on the second.

On the second dive, your third buddy switch buddy teams. I would not have ended my dive when he ascended. He ascended with his new buddy.

I was reading this thread and feel so bad because I guess I evidently "pushed" myself (as a tag along) on someone. So please give me advice what the etiquette is.

I am a very new diver (only 20 dives). Last Monday I went on two tank night dive with a LDS. Unfortunately my dive buddy backed out at the last minute. I arrived at the boat, set up my equipment & started talking to people. There were to guys from Colorado who were very friendly and knowledgeable. After talking to them for about 45 minutes, I asked if I could tag along on the dive with them. They said yes. I have been on dives where people agree to be "buddies" then once they hit the water one person disappears and leaves their new buddy hanging. I had asked them because of their demeanor and experience. And since they took me on as a buddy, I made certain that they never had to look for me. Basically I was their shadow & pointed out marine life (spotted morays, sea snakes, etc.). Both dives were great.

So what should/shouldn't I do? I am very concerned because I am going on a cruise in less than two weeks and I will be in the same situation. Plus, I think I will be doing a lot of dives "solo" here because my best friend, Kim, and I don't seem to be able to get our schedules together and I don't know many people in the area. Open to suggestions and/or constructive criticism.

Sandy

I've only been down there once on Wreck Alley and had kind of a hairy experience involving an OOA diver off another boat. It's dark and cold (well, that's relative) and the lure of the wrecks may cause people to attempt dives beyond their skill level.

Sandy,

It doesn't sound like you pushed yourself on anyone.

If you feel uncomfortable, you can always give some of the Florida members of Scubaboard a shout. Most of us are usually up for a dive. I enjoy diving with new divers, they're so excited about things that are old hat, it gets me excited again.

We can help you meet more divers in the area.

Your experience was not remotely related, as these clowns were LDS leaders that allowed their hyjinx to impact a customer.

I've been in your spot before - something happens and I'm on a boat solo.

You did everything right - in regards to exhibiting good buddy skills. I think its not entirely unreasonable (and often unavoidable) to go into a trip solo, and hook up on the trip.

THAT'S a skill...good pre-dive buddy selection skills. A skill, and a little luck. But be careful, be thorough. You'll be in great shape.

K

Like everyone has said, just dive with your wife in the future, if the boat says they have the right to pair you up with someone you have never dove with, find another boat. Occassionally, it can work taking on a new buddy, but, again this is someone you have never trained with so it's pretty borderline. Most of the time I train in horrible conditions for that big, expensive boat dive, and then to get to paired up with some JA, heck, you have a right to be PO'ed.

The boat I dive off here in MA allows solo diving, but, sometimes a lone diver with ask to pair up with me and buddy(s), if it's an "easy" dive we often accept (sometimes it's nice to see a wreck for the first time with people who have done it before), but, these divers have always had the curtusey to reassured us before hand that they are good divers and run down their credintials, which while not always the best indicator, it can make you feel better.

kjunheart once bubbled...
So what should/shouldn't I do? I am very concerned because I am going on a cruise in less than two weeks and I will be in the same situation.

Sandy,
Don't worry about it. What you did is just fine. Get to know the people; choose a buddy/team. Ask 'em honestly, and be prepared for them to say no, and not be offended by it.

A lot of us have those "tag along" stories [for example]. It's one thing to take the time to group up with people, it's another thing entirely to 'expect' to be grouped up with somone without asking/discussing/finding out if you all have the same goals for the dive.

I know the next time my buddy and I find ourselves just about geared up and look across the boat to some smiling CF-to-be; we're just saying "NO".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom