My first reg set -- MK 25/600, HOG D-1, or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love these threads....

I used to own HOG regs. I now own APEKS Tek 3's/XTX50 and MK25's/A700's. At 180' in 38F water I can tell the difference but at 120' I couldn't. Was it just me, maybe. Okay guys let me get my helmet on.

The SubGear 1000, SG - 1000, might just be the right reg. for you. It is very similar to the MK17, a high performance balanced diaphragm first stage, and the S600, a high quality easy to breath 2nd stage.

SubGear is the new less expensive line of Scubapro.

The SG - 1000 has a 30 year warranty instead of limited lifetime.

Casey,

Thanks, but I don't see the value on spending $539 or more for a single reg when I can get an entire set-up with hoses, et al for $450. Do you?

- Bill

---------- Post added November 22nd, 2012 at 07:14 PM ----------

if you are traveling ..... unless the repair is something like replacing an o-ring, you're generally just going to rent regs if yours fails, anyway.

That's what I think too.

---------- Post added November 22nd, 2012 at 07:24 PM ----------

Does anyone know if there is a better return policy with DRIS or another vendor or Jim Lapenta? I would probably buy from Jim because he gives great personal service unless there is a reason not to.

- Bill

@Billt4sf I like Bamboo Reef and I done some business with them easy to work with.
It may just be me but I check my regulator at time of purchase and after they service it, That my opinion. When you travel most places just use yokes and not DIN. The Din to yoke adapter push the first stage towards the back of your head also I think the second stage is negative buoyant.

On a side note check out Monterey store they usually have close outs models at great prices about the same as package you want.

See you down there one of these days.

Casey,

Thanks, but I don't see the value on spending $539 or more for a single reg when I can get an entire set-up with hoses, et al for $450. Do you?

- Bill
Hi Bill,

My special offer was $399.00.

As far as world-wide service as well as local service, Scubapro/SubGear is very well represented. If you want to have your gear serviced at a Scubapro dealer near you, no problem. If you have a problem while travelling, it is highly likely that your gear will be able to be taken care of if you have Scubapro.

It doesn't matter where you purchase your Scubapro gear, you can have it serviced anywhere.

You might want to check your area for local dealers of other regs. that you are looking at that are not top name brands. How many dealers in a 25 mile radius, 50 miles? Are they legitimate dive stores or do they work out of their basement.

As I dive the world, I see Scubapro everywhere. Are the lesser known brands present, hardly.

Also, Scubapro is celebrating their 50th anniversary. How many years have others been in business? Will they be around when you need them.

Are they dive stores or do they work out of their basement.

I run a very legitimate business out of my house. It's a better business model for serving my customers needs.

I'd love to meet someone around me who sold the kind of gear that I liked at prices I liked, gave instruction that I actually needed, had a compressor, serviced equipment and so on out of his back yard garage. It would save me from having to put up with the crazy traffic associated with a traditional suburban strip mall.

I'd also ask how many big businesses got their start in garages and basements? One large clothing store chain that is now in Pa, Ohio, and WVa started out of a garage. The Value City furniture chain and Big Lots chains came from a family who patriarch started out selling pots, pans, and small kitchen necessities out of a horse drawn wagon. Every business has to start somewhere. Some just choose to take a more conservative approach. A new business that opens up in one of our malls could be looking at 2.00 - 5.00 per square foot per month in rent. Plus utilities like phone, internet, etc. That cost has to be passed on to the customer. If a business can operate with less overhead and passing that savings on to the consumer until they build up to a bigger location why should they be faulted for doing so?

For me it's more about customer service than anything, except when large price differentials are involved. As a newish diver (new to equipment purchases) I need lots of help with details, some of which I don't even know enough to ask about. If they do that out of their garage, no matter to me.

Thanks also to the ScubaBoard posters that have helped me to learn about diving as well as equipment.

- Bill

Dont forget a great company like Hewlitt Packard (HP) started from a garage!

Not to mention companies running out of a garage tend to not have to write of 8.8 Billion dollars.

If a business can operate with less overhead and passing that savings on to the consumer until they build up to a bigger location why should they be faulted for doing so?
Yes, if the business is a legitimate business. Do you have a store front, store hours and a real dive store?

No, that is why you can not offer the top SCUBA brands to your friends. This thread is about a Scubapro reg. ( MK25/S600 ), a hog or something else. Can you offer Scubapro or Atomic or Aqualung or any top name brand as a choice?

No, because you must meet certain criteria for the major SCUBA companies to open you up as a dealer.

The reason being they want dive professionals that have made a commitment to this business. A full-time business that has a real dive store is required, not a part-time person that is working out of their basement.

Back
Top Bottom