My first ride on my new Sealife DC800 at Aquarena Springs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In10se

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, this is me. I cruised through my first attempt at photography in the beautiful waters of Aquarena Springs.

pict0110hu9.jpg

I ordered a DC800 from Warren at Toms Scuba in Austin. I should have gone with the MAXX instead of the pro for the second strobe and the upgraded case.

SLFDC8P.jpg

On my first time out with the camera I was still dealing with buoyancy issues (being a noob with about 55 dives). Add in that I know nothing about dry photography let alone underwater photography. And you get, well ... a lot of shots like this:

pict0162qq0.jpg

Brightly illuminated fleeing fish butts as my intended models try to evade my over aggressive approach.

After I got settled in, slowed down, and followed some of John Lindsey's tutelage things got progressively easier.

I thought it was very nice of this lil guy to pose for me.

pict0198xe5.jpg

I need work on my strobe settings as these show ...

pict0245gv4.jpg

pict0279bt0.jpg

This camera takes very crisp images for as low priced as it is. I think the DC800 is a great starter camera.

pict0164yp6.jpg

pict0228bg6.jpg

John's rig is, obviously, much more advanced. He's and outstanding instructor with a great wealth of experience to share.
If you're looking to improve your photography skills he's a solid choice for private instruction.
He runs the Lake store for Scubaland and he can be reached at 512.257.2000.

pict0209ku6.jpg

So that was my first ride on my new camera. It was a blast.
These images are without the benefit of anything like photoshop, but that will be soon to follow.

I hit Florida on the 23rd of this month for a much needed dive vacation.
I'll try and post some stuff on the fly.

BTW, don't be shy. Critique away. Even bad commentary still offers up a good learning experience.

Cool camera. I got the old version of that, the DC500 and would have to agree with you on getting a second strobe. IMO, you nailed the 2nd and 6th photos, no backscatter:)
Here's a few suggestions, get a diffuser it will reduce the harsh light, move the strobe away from the camera to eliminate the backscatter and takes lots of pictures.

Last edited:
I am curious why divers pull their regulators out for to smile for the camera?!?

Good posting...

The image of the crayfish is awesome! Nice...

Great start! I agree with subzero, a diffuser will evenly distribute your light as well as take away the harshness of the light. Keep shooting, you can only get better. Here is one of you shooting I'd like to share.

Attachments

• Larryphoto.jpg
    Larryphoto.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 157
Great post and not bad at all for your first use of the camera. Your photos show that you have learned the first rule of underwater photography, get as close to your subject as possible.

Get certified to dive in Spring Lake. There is no better place to practice photography within several hundred miles. The best times are during the week when everything has had a chance to settle down from all the weekend classes. A Sunday afternoon in the training area does not show how good Spring Lake can be. BTW, when you nail a shot of a Rio Grande perch, they are truly beautiful fish.

Back
Top Bottom