My first trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm used to going to Aruba which, as you probably know, is known as "one happy island". I've been saying in my mind that Cozumel is "one wet island". The weather is one of the reasons you go to Aruba. I'd go to Cozumel any day rain or not. What a great little island!
I stayed at Hotel Cozumel. Not exactly a 5 star hotel, but mighty fine for my limited use of the room. I dove with Dive Paradise. If I were cynical there's be a long list of things I could say about them, but bottom line they were polite, courteous and a blast to dive with (man they do need to upgrade their SLOW boats! I mean sail boats were passing us!).

I was cautioned about the food at my AI hotel. While not on the "must eat" list, it was fine. All but 2 dinners were eaten there and I loved it (hey, put that green sauce on anything and it will taste good!). Breakfast was fantastic and lunch welcomed after a long morning of diving. The room was a bit musty smelling but after 5 days of rain so was my dive gear, I got used it it in a few days. I think that air conditioner they use isn't pulling out enough moisture form the air. But like I said, it didn't bother me. I must say, the bed was extremely comfortable!
The dives were great. The people great. Heck, I even enjoyed the shopping (especially when I got back from my first dive and my GF showed me some silver she bought for less than 1/3rd the asking price). It's like playing "Lets make a deal".
We had set up 3 dives a day for 5 days. I dove only the morning 2 dives (all but 1, I had a short-lived ear problem) and a night dive (my first). I opted out of the afternoon dives. Diving Cozumel is amazing. I don't have that much experience diving exotic locals but it sure beats the heck out of NY diving and even Aruba. The walls, the swim-throughs, the life... The rental cars were laughable so that's what we did. Rent and laugh! Man, what a trip!
I have tons of pictures which I'll post when I log on from home.
The only real bad part was leaving!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm told our next trip will most likely be Turks and Caicaos. I'm a little said it isn't Cozumel again!

I very happy that even with the rain you enjoyed your first trip. It most likely will lead to another, as you have a lot more to see & experience which is why so many of us keep returning. I'm also happy that your impressions of Hotel Coz pretty much agree with all of us who answered your previous questions re it. AND what a safe place for wandering & exploring including the shops filled with jewelry.

Here are a few pictures...
I have over 1,000 but only (wisely) uploaded a few to my photobucket account
1101_028.jpg

1101_029.jpg

1101_035.jpg

1101_036.jpg

1101_089.jpg

1101_091.jpg

1101_092.jpg

1101_093.jpg

1101_088.jpg

1101_075.jpg

Glad to hear you had a good experience. I'm taking my first trip to Cozumel in two weeks and doing exactly what you did: Hotel Cozumel, diving with Dive Paradise, two morning dives and one afternoon dive. Hope our experience is as good as yours.

A couple quick questions, since you just got back:

1) What type of power outlets do they have there? Will I need an adapter?

2) Is there wifi or wired internet at Hotel Coz?

I was going to do the research myself, but since you just got back I figured you might be able to save me some time if you have the answers to these questions.

Thanks!

Wifi in the lobby & the rooms (free) and normal wall outlets (3 pin plug or polarized 2 pin fit).

Well, Cap'n, you know that sailboats have the right of way! :wink: Glad to hear you enjoyed Coz -- the rain was impressive (I was happy NOT to go diving!) and the mosquitos thick while you were here. After you enjoy the Turks, come on back -- we're closer to home than Aruba and, except for major holidays, there are good air deals from NY, especially if you're willing to fly via Cancun.

Folks, does this man have potential as a Cozaholic?? I think so!

I dove with Dive Paradise. If I were cynical there's be a long list of things I could say about them, but bottom line they were polite, courteous and a blast to dive with (man they do need to upgrade their SLOW boats! I mean sail boats were passing us!).

I'm told our next trip will most likely be Turks and Caicaos. I'm a little said it isn't Cozumel again!

Hey SkipperJohn,

There's a lot of good advice regarding Cozumel operators on SB. My son and I stay at Hotel Cozumel and use Aldora. Easy pick up and drop off at the hotel dock, small groups of divers with similar experience, great divemasters, large steel tanks, no complaints about slow boats.

I would'nt be too sad about your upcoming trip to T&C. We visited in July and had a fantastic time diving with Caicos Adventures. The walls off West Caicos were great and the Reef Sharks were incredible YouTube - Old Shark and Big Shark I'd like to get back to Cozumel again soon too but there are many, many other destinations on my list also.

Good diving, Craig :D

heh... yeah I forgot about the mosquitos. Man... tons of them!

here are a few more pictures...
1101_001.jpg

1101_007.jpg

1101_012.jpg

1101_017.jpg

1101_018.jpg

1101_024.jpg

1101_025.jpg

1101_044.jpg

1101_047.jpg

1101_060.jpg

Tons of vids too... Like these

& this is a short video showing what it was like there with that storm nearby. For 4 days this is what it was like topside!

hahaha... I loved my rental car!
1106_023.jpg

1106_022.jpg

1106_057.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom