My first tropical dive in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minipinny

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Next month I will be going to Puerto Rico to attend my 2nd eldest sister's 20th wedding anniversary (she's renewing her wedding vows with her hubby). I decided to take advantage of my location and go diving there. 3 weeks in P.R. - 1st week all diving and 2 weeks with my family.

The LDS there said that they seem to be very busy in April and that they get lots of last minute divers coming on a daily basis for boat dives. I should not have any problems filling up my one week of diving :blinking:.

Ada who lives there and is the one who's renewing her vows says that she will try and arrange for everyone to go snorkelling one day in the waters. I read an article on a new thing on snubba. It's a cross between snorkelling and scuba diving. I will see if any of the dive shops there will accommodate.

I can't think of anything that I need to consider. I have my passport which expires in 2009; my dog trinket has had her vet check. (And yes she's coming along. She fits under the seat in front in the cabin in a pet carrier); I have my special luggage suitcase that will hold my bcd, fins ,mask and snorkel and wetsuit and then some; I have DAN Insurance; And I go for my annual check up before the trip.

Has any one been to P.R. or the surrounding islands and know what sort of marine life and vegetation there are in the waters?

My sister and her hubby are both scientists so I will see if she can hook me up with some marine biologist friends and other connections who can give me some insight on persuing a career in oceanography or other occupational dive careers.

I look forward to diving without all the heavy equipment gear that I've been used to in BC. It'll be a breeze I am sure :D.

Im sure you will enjoy the diving in PR, I havnt been there to dive. The only time I was there I was on a cruise & all the diving was on the other side of the island & we didnt have enough time to do any diving & make it back.
We were diving in St. Maarten, St. Thomas & Nassau so it didnt bother me too bad to miss this 1 stop. I will say when I posted about info for my trip I got a lot of the vis isnt that great & there are better places to dive mumble jumble.
But considering where I dive normally off the coast of Va. Beach with a typical water temps in the lower 50's & vis in the 10-20 ft range I was thrilled with the 60-80 ft vis & 80 degree water temps.
The only thing I heard about diving in PR is that the side of the island with the diving is , is surrounded by mountains so after diving you must consider how high through the mountains you can go to get back to where you are staying.
I say have a blast & take pictures to post with a report when you get back. I love diving here in Va. Beach with my drysuit & all the equipment that it requires too, but diving in a pair of board shorts or shorty wetsuit isnt that bad at all.

Thanks for your input RAD. I am sure I will have a blast when I go diving there. I was told by my travel agent that all my dives will be off ofa boat and that I will get to see the so called great Parguera Wall (http://www.pargueradivers.com/). I was thinking about whether or not I should get a housing for my little digital camera or just get one of those cameras that you can get for $50 at the dive shops. I think I should go for the latter.

How was it at St. Maartan and Nassau? Were you able to see any interesting marine life that made it all the more memorable? I was reading the the dive site info and I am very interested in seeing the sharks. It didn't say what type but I guess I will find out sooner or later. Also on my list of what to see are rays and marays.

Back
Top Bottom