My Hew Porter plates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

graham p

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just wanted to share my wife and my set ups and give a thank you to Hew Porter for his great single tank plate design.
My wife and I have been diving these plates for over a year and love them, I reduced the size of hers to fit her 5'2" frame and learned to anodize so that I could get the custom colour she wanted, I cut mine down to save a bit of weight for travel.
They are 1/8" 5052 aluminum cut on a CNC router and bent in a CNC brake that I have access to, the hardest part was de-burring all the slot edges after the cutting process.
Mine is fitted with an older DGX wing and hers has an 18lb. VDH wing.
Again, thank you Hew, Bryan at VDH and the crew at DGX for allowing me to assemble such good kit.
Graham
20201114_093833.jpg

Love the 2nd stages on your outfit.
I have a few of them, what year are they stamped [all mine are] ?

The first stage is from a spiro arctic 1996, the seconds are conshelf 1085's from 1982 and 1983. One is an octo version with the stronger spring. I rebuilt the set in 2019 along with my wife's SE3 set. Again thanks to VDH for allowing that to be possible.

1982 and 1983. One is an octo version with the stronger spring
20201116_094700.jpg

This spring, I only have 2 left [Amo box full of spares stolen in a move].
Sorry if I am off topic.
Love your setup.

Thanks.
That does look like it.

Just wanted to share my wife and my set ups and give a thank you to Hew Porter for his great single tank plate design.
My wife and I have been diving these plates for over a year and love them, I reduced the size of hers to fit her 5'2" frame

Very cool!! May I ask what your final length and width were as adapted for your wife? I have a Porter inspired design in the works for my wife as well, coming in at 13.5" x 9.75". I am going to make a cardboard prototype first, before sending to my local metalworks company, but wanted to inquire about your modifications and opinion....

@D_Fresh, the final dimensions after bending are 13.5 x 8.5, so probably 9.25ish before bending.
Keep in mind that the "W" bend spacing and tank strap slot spacing should be maintained to the drawing so your really only shortening the outer "wings", but this has worked out great for my wife, she has no complaints about how the plate feels.
@huwporter, yes they are the plastic sex bolts from DGX holding the wings on. I lost one of the bolts on mine and replaced the Male part with white nylon screws.
I'm glad that you saw my work. It is a very comfortable design you came up with, I'm very happy with them.

Awesome! I thought @Eric Sedletzky was the only one making single tank plates, but I was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom