My Ideal Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paradise

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I learned the hard way that using rental gear is not such a great idea. I've read through many of the posts on this forum and although I still have a lot of questions and other things to factor in...I was hoping you can provide some advice about the ideal reg with these characteristics in mind:

• I strive to dive recreationally in nice warm water (85 degrees) although there is a quarry close by that I *may* venture into somewhere down the road...once.
  • Not really fond of regs that make a weird honking sound...this has happened on two/three different occasions at different places. Is this normal?!
  • While in the horizontal position, spinning around with my face looking up at the surface or completely upside down, it's hard to breathe the regulator. Are there regs that are resistant to whatever position you're in?
  • Jaw fatigue sucks.
  • I'm getting very interested in the idea of an AI hoseless/wireless digital SPG and a redundant analog version so having two HP ports are important. I'm just not sure if you screw the transmitter directly onto the high pressure port or if you need a hose to attach the two?
  • Uh...money-wise? Below or at most $500...
  • Does the servicing cost drastically vary? If so, what does it depend on?
  • My mouth becomes incredibly dry but I can deal with it.
I'd appreciate it if you can point me in the right direction.

I learned the hard way that using rental gear is not such a great idea. I've read through many of the posts on this forum and although I still have a lot of questions and other things to factor in...I was hoping you can provide some advice about the ideal reg with these characteristics in mind:

• I strive to dive recreationally in nice warm water (85 degrees) although there is a quarry close by that I *may* venture into somewhere down the road...once.
  • Not really fond of regs that make a weird honking sound...this has happened on two/three different occasions at different places. Is this normal?!
  • While in the horizontal position, spinning around with my face looking up at the surface or completely upside down, it's hard to breathe the regulator. Are there regs that are resistant to whatever position you're in?
  • Jaw fatigue sucks.
  • I'm getting very interested in the idea of an AI hoseless/wireless digital SPG and a redundant analog version so having two HP ports are important. I'm just not sure if you screw the transmitter directly onto the high pressure port or if you need a hose to attach the two?
  • Uh...money-wise? Below or at most $500...
  • Does the servicing cost drastically vary? If so, what does it depend on?
  • My mouth becomes incredibly dry but I can deal with it.
I'd appreciate it if you can point me in the right direction.

Hi paradise,

From your list:

1.) Warm water (mostly): Cold water diving will limit your regulator choices to those models that are specifically designed for cold water. For warm water, any decent reg will do fine.

2.) No honking: Some very good regs will "honk" when breathed out of the water. This is typically coming from the 2nd stage diaphragm (resonating), and is no big deal, and usually goes away when the reg is underwater. If the reg honks underwater, that may indicate a problem.

3.) Reg that breathes well in all positions: Physics more than the "brand" of the regulator determines how well regulators breath in various positions. Regs will typically breath best in the normal "face-down" swimming position, and worst in a "face-up" on-your-back position. Some designs do better than others. All modern, decent regs should be just fine, but will breath harder in certain positions than others.

4.) Low jaw fatigue: Is mostly a function of proper hose length and routing, and a mouthpiece that fits your mouth properly. This is often trial and error for most folks. Some feel that light, plastic 2nd stages are easier fatigue-wise than metal 2nd stages, but you need to remember that in the water much/most of the weight difference disappears (the reg is filled with air). I use all-metal 2nd stages, and have no more fatigue than with all-plastic 2nd's. Your mileage may vary :D

5.) Air integrated computer: Two high pressure ports is probably best for this application. The transmitter screws into a high pressure port. Most current 1st stages have 2 high pressure ports.

6.) $500 or less: You need 1st stage, primary 2nd stage, and alternate 2nd stage (octo) for this total. This should put you into the mid-range of most of the major manufacturers (if you buy online) and upper entry-level if you buy at most dive shops (but this of course varies a lot :D ).

7.) Cost of annual service: Varies by region. About $25 per stage for labor seems like a good "ball park" average. Parts may be free for many regs, if you buy from an "authorized" dealer, and do not miss a service interval. The parts replaced at annual service are about $40 retail, but this varies by brand and model.

8.) Would like to avoid "dry mouth": Metal 2nd stages, or those with a metal air barrel do better at reducing "dry mouth" than all-plastic 2nd stages.

Regulators that off the top of my head meet your criteria but are under $500 (including an octo) but excluding an spg/depth gauge:

1.) Zeagle Flathead VI: This is an excellent top-of-the-line "close-out" regulator, the 2nd stage has a metal air barrel. Can be bought online at ZeagleExpress for about $360 I think, plus about $140 for a Zeagle Envoy octo I think.

Buy The ZX Flathead-VI CLOSEOUT scuba diving gear at Zeagle Express

2.) Scubapro Mk-17/G250V: If bought online, you will not get the "parts for life" warranty, but buying it online reduces the price so that it is in your "budget". The price at leisurepro is $399.95. It has a metal air barrel, and is a terrific regulator. You can put a Scubapro R190 octo on it for about $90.

Scubapro MK17/G250V Regulator

3.) Edge HOG D1 cold water regulator: I've read good things about this regulator, but have never used one (yet :D ). The 2nd stage, like the two regulators listed above, has a metal air barrel. It is priced at $290.00. You can add an octo for about $100 - $110.

HOG D1 Cold Water Regulator Set - HOG Environmentally Sealed Regulator - HOG Technical Regulators

4.) Mares MR-22/Voltrex: This is a different design the the 3 regs above, but is a great regulator. The Voltrex 2nd is identical (except for the purge cover) to the newer Abyss 2nd, and is metal. It is a "classic downstream" unbalanced 2nd stage without the external adjustment that the other three have. I can tell you from personal experience: It does not need the "steenking" adjuster :D When tuned properly it is a fantastic reg. You can get it for $289.95 at scubatoys, and add a Mares octo for about $80 - 110.

Mares Voltrex with MR22T First Stage reviews and discounts, Mares

There are many, many other great regs out there. I just listed the ones that I knew had metal air barrels, were in also in your stated price range, and would handle both cold and warm water... I'm most familiar with the Mares and Zeagle regs (I own and service Zeagle Flathead VI's, and Mares MR-22 Abyss and Voltrex).

I also wanted to post links to four of the online stores I've used and was pleased with.

In the end, I do recommend you talk to local dive shops first, then make a decision on what direction you want to take. If you are not happy with any dive shops close to you, then consider buying online.

Good luck, and Best Wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom