My intro to our anticipated dive opt in roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ooops...I hate when that happens..

see below.

note - the OP asked the question 2 years ago and hasn't been logged into the board for almost a year.

Would nitrogen narcosis be an acceptable excuse. How about over forty-way over forty!

Shrew:
1. Your rates for 10 dive package
2. rates for rental equipment per dive
3. Your guidance on nitrox. Do you supply nitrox tanks? Is it worth diving nitrox in roatan? I've read that compared to other dive destinations the benefits of diving nitrox in roatan are minimal. Should we consider nitrox certification and do you certify for nitrox?
4. We only have fins and masks. We would like to slowly invest in equipment over the next coming years. For this trip would you recommend any specific equipment? We've read all opts are a bit different and are unsure if a computer would be beneficial. Are we expected to follow a dm and stay w/ the group throughout all of our dives, or will we have freedom to explore a bit on our own if our comfort and safety permit? are our bottom times restricted to the dm or our air and our computer?
5. Neither of us have a wet suit. We are both comfortable in 70'ish F water w/o one. Should be plan on getting one prior to departing? we've read about the possibility of sea lice.
6. Is there anything that we should realize or consider as new divers that we probably haven't already that would help you, our dive opt and us in making this a safe and life long memory?

Let me try to answer based on our experiences:

1. $20/dive is standard in West End. $30 - $35/dive in West Bay. The West End prices included equipment (at least at our favorite dive shop, Coconut Tree Divers)

2. See #1. Most of the dive ops in West End include equipment in the rental price.

3. We've had two great trips to Roatan without Nitrox. If you want to dive Nitrox, do so (and train for it), otherwise just dive air and enjoy yourself. The fish and coral don't look prettier on Nitrox...

4. My suggestion - buy computers. With that being said, you can dive the tables, and depending on your level of experience you can/may deviate from the DM. With only three OW dives I would suggest that you stick to the DM, as they will notice many of the interesting marine wildlife that you might overlook. The safety benefits can be primary or secondary, depending on your perspective.

5. Water temps in Roatan should be 82 - 84F. This can get cold after two or three dives. Most people wear a wetsuit (2 - 3mm, shorty or full). Coconut Tree includes them in the dive cost..... but some people pee in their wetsuit so I prefer to bring my own.

6. Relax. Don't try to overplan this. You might get a stomach bug and have to change your plans. You might decide one day that you would like to sit on the beach and skip the afternoon dive. You most likely will be hungover at least once on the trip and may not feel up to the first morning dive. If you're going to "dive dive dive" you should book a room at one of the all-inclusive dive resorts (CoCoView?) and stay in as long as your computer lets you. If you are out to see the tropics and get some diving in, don't try to overthink the experience...

undefined:
Let me try to answer based on our experiences:

Psssssssst. Notice the response from Damselfish two posts up?

RoatanMan:
Psssssssst. Notice the response from Damselfish two posts up?

It's a Monday...... :shakehead

undefined:
It's a Monday...... :shakehead

You're the one who swore off the "real" Honduran Coffee. :coffee:

:no

RoatanMan:
You're the one who swore off the "real" Honduran Coffee. :coffee:

:no

It really must be Monday, as I'm totally lost! What's this about swearing off real Honduran Coffee (and was I under the influence of real Honduran beer at the time)?

I thought that was you agreeing with those namby-pamby whiners who were compaining about the battery acid that passes for Island style coffee... you know- put the grounds in boiling water, add more water later... mmmmm.

That thread was months ago.... kinda' like this one was. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom