My latest "treasure" finds from Eastport, Maine.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adshepard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There's not only marine life to keep me interested in diving in Eastport, Maine but also some nice historical bottles and clay pipes if you know where and how to look. Here are a couple of the latest finds.

5817_1157631147_james-ready.jpg

This bottle comes from New Brunswick, Canada and as you can see has a round bottom to ensure that it was stored on its side to keep the cork wet which prevented the carbonated (aerated) water from forcing out a dry cork. This bottle dates from about 1890 or so and is supposedly worth $175 to $200. It was a gift to me in exchange for a bottle I gave another diver.

5817_1157631147_Luke-Beard.jpg

This bottle is a beauty! It dates from 1855 and held either beer or soda according to my Internet research. It is worth about $75.

I've found a good number of bottles and clay pipes the past few years. Unfortunately most bottles are either broken or are modern day Budweiser garbage. My oldest and favorite bottle being a jaundice bitters bottle from 1850 said to be worth close to $400.

The site I generally dive in Eastport is where the Eastern Steamship Company's wharf used to be. The wharf is no longer there but it's remains and the "treasure" thrown or dropped off the wharf and the steamships still remains.

Nice finds...:)...They are in great shape I found a really cool old tonic bottle last week with a small piece broken off...:(...if it was mint like yours I'm sure it would be worth a few bucks...well maybe next time

They were both extremely clean coming out of the water with only the slightest deposits of cructose algae (the lavender stuff). Probably would have cleaned up with just vinegar. I've recovered other bottles from the same spot that had much greater growth on them and it took a few baths in the diluted muriatic acid to clean them.

Sounds like a fun hobby within Scuba. Wonder if such 'treasures' can be found while diving near the old sardine harvesting pipes in Monterey, CA

www.scubamazing.com:
Sounds like a fun hobby within Scuba. Wonder if such 'treasures' can be found while diving near the old sardine harvesting pipes in Monterey, CA

The old steamship pier where I found the bottles is right next to an old sardine packing facility. Eastport and the neighboring area were at one time the sardine capital of the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom