My loser moment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Giant stride off the boat - with my snorkel, rather than reg, in my mouth.
That's an oops? That's S.O.P. for us.:D

I learned that when I giant stride without my reg in my mouth, the hose is a perfect length and my reg is a perfect weight to swing around & hit me in the head when I hit the water.

Once I spelled loser, "looser" everyone thought I was easy... :)

I've done the no mask and snorkel descents...

Biggest loser moment was when I ditched my gear at 127' in the Middle Grounds (Gulf of Mexico) to get under a ledge where a Hog Snapper took my spear shaft... I crawled under and a Hammerhead stuck his head in too... To this day, I think he was offering help to retrieve my shaft... I really wanted a big gulp of air at that moment...

I misplaced my wife's hood and couldn't find it on a dive day. Fortunately our LDS was open that day so I went and got her a new one while she was getting food and drinks together.

After a 1 1/2 hour drive, we got to the dive site, schlepped all our gear down the steep trail to the beach, and suited up, only to discover that I had bought her the wrong size hood..... way too small....:dork2:

So... not wanting to thumb the dive over something as trivial as a hood, I gave her mine and we went for it. By the end of that very short dive, my head was so numb and it hurt when it started to warm up.... the water temp was 51 deg f. that day.

Just recently I was demonstrating entries for a class. I was being lazy and didn't feel like sitting all the way down on the edge of the pool so I had this really bright idea to use this bench by the pool to show everyone the starting position for the old backwards roll. It really seemed like a good idea until I lost my balance, fell backwards off the bench and split my head open in two places. One where my head hit the deck and the other where my first stage was driven up and into the back of my head. Thank god I didn't break off the entire tank valve, somehow I get the feeling that wouldn't have ended well.

So, in short, that was a really, really stupid idea. It kind of sucks realizing something like that as you lay bleeding on a pool deck in front of students.

All through training my instructor always said if he caught us with our mask on our foreheads it would cost us a beer and if we left our tank standing on end it would cost us a 6-pack.

Well . . .

I got a bonus check at work and treated myself to my very own equipment. Showed up for my OW cert dives with a brand new wetsuit, bc, regulator, etc. I felt like a peacock! My cert dives went well and I finally got to go for a "real" dive as a real, live diver. First dive goes great, I refill the rental tank, and set up my gear for our second dive. I stood my rig up on a picnic table to make it easier to put on, promptly lost control of it, and watched my shiney new equipment take a swan dive off the end of the table. The whole thing landed square on my brand new regulator 1st stage destroying it and two hoses. The yoke was bent, the o-ring blew out, and 3000 pounds of air started shooting sand and gravel all over the parking lot. But the worst part was having to tell the wife! I think I owe my instructor at least a case of beer, too.

Jim

Descended without my mask on 2 weeks ago. Damn thing misting up all the time so moved it off my face (onto top of my head as i find it far more comfortable than neck due to backup reg interfering) for surface swim so i could actually see where we were going. Got to buoy line, signalled for students to go down, all descended then i realised.

Once I spelled loser, "looser" everyone thought I was easy... :)

I've done the no mask and snorkel descents...

Biggest loser moment was when I ditched my gear at 127' in the Middle Grounds (Gulf of Mexico) to get under a ledge where a Hog Snapper took my spear shaft... I crawled under and a Hammerhead stuck his head in too... To this day, I think he was offering help to retrieve my shaft... I really wanted a big gulp of air at that moment...

Calling a hogfish a "hog snapper" is a pretty good loser moment too. There's no such thing as a hog snapper.:lotsalove:

Made a dive with my weight belt inside my hooded best.

I was diving my Bare Arctic with the hooded step-in shorty vest. While gabbing I managed to get into the suit, secure the belt and get into the shorty. Oblivious to the faux pas I went on to make an uneventful dive. I do remember being confused at not being able to find my weight belt buckle at depth when I went to check it's tightness. It wasn't until we were back at the table, out of my BC that I went for the belt and then patted myself down to find it that I realized what I'd done.

Object lesson in paying attention while getting ready!

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom