My new toy came!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikey3091

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My DSS BP/W arrived today, and I was so looking forward to diving this weekend; however, there is a tropical storm brewing.:( I do have a few questions before I cut any webbing. The shoulder straps should be how tight? The tighter they are, the higher the BP sits on my back. Should the majority of the weight be on the belt or the shoulders? Also, what do I do with the white nylon line? There is also a hole in the wing that lines up with a hole in the BP. What is the purpose of this?

Mike Edwards

My DSS BP/W arrived today, and I was so looking forward to diving this weekend; however, there is a tropical storm brewing.:( I do have a few questions before I cut any webbing. The shoulder straps should be how tight? The tighter they are, the higher the BP sits on my back. Should the majority of the weight be on the belt or the shoulders? Also, what do I do with the white nylon line? There is also a hole in the wing that lines up with a hole in the BP. What is the purpose of this?

Mike Edwards

The waist strap does not carry and weight when you are standing, all the load is on the shoulders.

The #24 "cave line" is included so you have something to tie off boltsnaps. For example a bolt snap on your SPG or back up lights.

Tobin

The hole in the bp and wing is to attach the two together. I'm guessing you either have a STA, which should have 2 bolts that go through the wing and the plate and attach w/ butterfly bolts or the tank bands are connected directly to the plate and route through the center of the wing, in which case you can use "sex" bolts to attach the wing to the plate. I'm sure Tobin could provide more specifics

The hole in the bp and wing is to attach the two together. I'm guessing you either have a STA, which should have 2 bolts that go through the wing and the plate and attach w/ butterfly bolts or the tank bands are connected directly to the plate and route through the center of the wing, in which case you can use "sex" bolts to attach the wing to the plate. I'm sure Tobin could provide more specifics

DSS wings and plates do not use or require an STA, or any bolts. We specifically recommend against bolting your wing to your plate.

Our wings include rubber "locators" that are pushed through the wing and plate, one at the top and one at the bottom.

This approach, in combination with the camband "windows" allows easy removal of the wing from the plate.

Tobin

I've been diving the BP/W for about 3 years. At first I had the shoulder straps quite tight. As years and experience increased with the setup I've loosen the straps considerably. Last year I took a workshop from Lamar Hires (Dive Rite) where he stated that most BP/W users have their straps too tight. He suggested that you should be able to easily slip your hand, flat against your chest between the straps and your exposure suit. This allows for easier access to your D-rings, hoses, and if diving doubles your valve knobs. Having said that, you may want to be tighter to begin diving with the wing and later loosen the straps, so don't cut alot fromthe ends. Tuck the loose straps under your waists straps until you learn your rig. Have fun!

DSS wings and plates do not use or require an STA, or any bolts. We specifically recommend against bolting your wing to your plate.

Our wings include rubber "locators" that are pushed through the wing and plate, one at the top and one at the bottom.

This approach, in combination with the camband "windows" allows easy removal of the wing from the plate.

Tobin

I have everything set now. I was up till two messing with it :dork2: I was just curious to know the purpose of the hole positioned above one of the "locators". I new it wasn't for mounting the wing to the BP.

I have everything set now. I was up till two messing with it :dork2: I was just curious to know the purpose of the hole positioned above one of the "locators". I new it wasn't for mounting the wing to the BP.

The locators in your wing are at 12" centers. The unused hole in your wing allows STA's with bolts at 11" centers to be used with our wings, should the user decide to. This would be necessary only if you were trying to use a plate without camband slots.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom