My new Used C-5050 what Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Judy...when you get your housing, we'll have a photo day at the lake and you can try my Inon. As someone said the D-180 is discontinued but you'll get an idea of how easy the Inons are to use.

The Inon D 180is a great strobe IMO. I actually got lucky and found one still new about 7-8 months ago and bought it.......if I had it to do over, I would buy the exact same strobe if it was available.

My 5050 will fill a 1 gig card.....2 dives (in RAW format) on one set of NiMH batteries as long as they are freshly charged. I usually charge the strobe batteries after 4 dives.

reubencahn:
I use the Sea & Sea YS-90DX. It uses AA batteries and has good adjustments if you want to shoot manually. I've recently switched to a TTL adaptor produced by
http://www.heinrichsweikamp.net/blitz/index.htm. (Site is in German but e-mails in English are answered in English.) It works well and I am happy. Having said this, if I had to do it again, I would go with the Ikelite housing with built in ttl and the DS125.

Reuben, which adaptor did you buy? Unfortunately, I shoot a C5050 in a PT015 and want to buy an Ikelite DS 125. He's got that TTL adaptor listed as "sold out and discontinued" (and has for months)... :( . I'm wondering now whether that's *really* true or whether I could maybe "sweet talk" him into making me one... :wink:

Aloha Judy,

Have you got a strobe yet? If not, did you buy a used camera because; you had to have a 5050 but it’s out of production, you got a really good deal, you wanted AA batteries, a combination or some other reason? If budget was a consideration consider used strobes also.

Two years ago, after weeks of research, I bought a reconditioned 5050, as well as a PT-015. At the time I felt it was the best camera in my budget (still feel that way). After years of Nikonus V, I already had two Ikelite SS200 PhotoCase strobes. I could not bring myself to spend nearly a grand on more lighting, but could find little info on using older strobes with digital cameras. Eventually, I gambled on the Ikelite TTL Slave Sensor (orange), the best $150 I ever spent.

IMO, the prices are pretty high for scrapbook photos. Even being a cheapskate my costs were; 5050 - $375, 5 year warrantee - $50, PT 015 - $180, CF 512 Mb - $95, INON WAL - $350, TTL Slave - $150, shipping to Hawaii from 5 vendors and a bunch of rechargeable AA’s; well over $1300 without the strobe! I am still happy with my rig, but factoring in the $1000 I originally spent on the SS200 and $80 for a new xD 512 Mb, It’s a $2500 set up and I better be happy with it.

I am still learning how to use this system better. My starting point was the My-Mode settings. This link is for a tutorial on that, a must for Oly shooters.

http://www.splashdowndivers.com/photo_gallery/underwater_photography/up_settings.htm

My current favs are 64 ISO, F4.0, 1/100th for shallow sunny, 100 ISO, F5.0, 1/80th deep or dark. Just like the older strobe issue, I recently discovered on my own that I could shoot raw continuous with strobe. I guess the recycle on the new DS125 is not as fast as my old SS200, because the only continuous strobers seem to be using SHQ jpeg (slightly slower). Or maybe the SS200 is brighter, as I mostly use 1/8th power (occasionally 1/4th), even with my coffee can lid diffuser.

It’s not just the cost, there is also considerable process time involved in my underwater images. Converting from raw to tiff, adjusting levels, color, contrast, brightness, resizing for web or printing, sharpening, saving as Jpeg. If you have Photoshop CS2, you can batch convert and process, but I find most images needs different tweaks and CS2 has even more options so possibly more time.

Good luck with whatever strobe you get, any system will take great shots shooting within its limitations. More money = less limitations. Shoot, learn, shoot some more, learn some more, and please do the environment a favor; get rechargable AA's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom