My own equipment not allowed for Open Water class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there a dive shop in Jamestown now to replace the dive that was there many blue moons ago (the one owned by David Swain)?

nope I just learned today that one of the other RI shops just shut down

Wish that were the case here. For some reason any shop that opens up close to the RI dive sites ends up closing, and no one has set up fill stations. 🤔 Do I smell opportunity?

Hence why I fixed that problem for myself earlier in the year.

The instructor in group setting needs the students to have very similar equipment to be most efficient in time and class control.
THERE is the winning answer to the basic question that kicked all this off. It is NOT uncommon for an instructor to want all of the "students" in the same equipment configuration so that each skill is not having to be individually taught to each student. This is literally not rocket surgery.

i have never once been asked for a certification for ANY gear ive bought.

hell, you dont need a certification to dive....legally its not a requirement anywhere in the US....i can buy all my gear online, buy a compressor, and go diving never taking a class, never stepping foot in a dive shop.

what shops have you been to that makes you show certs?
👍👍
In 50 years locally I have been asked once for a c-card (air fill). I showed my vintage diver membership card and was good to go.
Visa or Mastercard is really all they want to see

All equipment is included in the $425 price of the course for the POOL portion of the class. But in order to use the same shop-provided regulator and BC for the OPEN WATER portion, they're asking for $275 more as a rental fee. That is where I have a problem with it, because unless I buy an Aqualung regulator setup from them, I have to spend the $275 to complete the class. If they just changed the $700 up front for the class and provided equipment for the whole thing, I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it. I just don't like that kind of business strategy and that type of human.
It may not seem like it makes a difference but, where are they saying your are doing your check dives at? The shoop I worked at offered a "local" quarry check dive package and then a "Florida" grotto and springs check dive package. Naturally, the Florida package cost more.

If you mean Kalipso, I’ll have to check with the owners. This is the shop I usually travel with. Interesting.

The new shop in MA said they bought all there bottles and such because they were shutting down.

It may not seem like it makes a difference but, where are they saying your are doing your check dives at? The shoop I worked at offered a "local" quarry check dive package and then a "Florida" grotto and springs check dive package. Naturally, the Florida package cost more.

It's at a dedicated dive quarry about an hour South of the shop. We're responsible for paying the fee to enter the park ($30/day), and the airfill fees as well ($15 per tank). I don't know if that's standard expectation or not, just saying that there is a lot of fine print for this course.

Back
Top Bottom