My piggy bank is crying but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milbournosphere

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
...after taking many bad photos I think it's time to by a strobe for my Canon point and shoot.

I've been doing some preliminary digging and like the look of the Intova ISS2000 strobe to work with my PowerShot SD1000 in its WP-DC13 case. I've also seen a bit about the FantaSea Nano strobe.

Seeing as I'm still pretty new, I'm not really sure of the big hitters for underwater lighting...is there a company or strobe that I might be overlooking? I'm not shooting with a DSLR, just my point and shoot, so I'm not looking for a HUGE flash, just something simple to get around having to use my UK torch. Any tips are appreciated. :D

...after taking many bad photos I think it's time to by a strobe for my Canon point and shoot.

I've been doing some preliminary digging and like the look of the Intova ISS2000 strobe to work with my PowerShot SD1000 in its WP-DC13 case. I've also seen a bit about the FantaSea Nano strobe.

Seeing as I'm still pretty new, I'm not really sure of the big hitters for underwater lighting...is there a company or strobe that I might be overlooking? I'm not shooting with a DSLR, just my point and shoot, so I'm not looking for a HUGE flash, just something simple to get around having to use my UK torch. Any tips are appreciated. :D

If I was you and depending on where you are going with your UW photo's I would buy a second hand unit from ebay in the USA. You can get a decent TTL strobe at a reasonable price and if you move up the camera scale you can take it with you. I would look for a Sea n Sea or an Inon as they are about the best strobes in the market.

If you buy a small flash to suit your point and shoot it can become the slave in a double flash set up in the future or just work reliably for your current point and shoot.

PS Check the compatibility of your camera to the strobe before putting down any money.

This may or may not matter to you but my review of the Nano suggests that it does not have TTL so you would need to shoot in manual mode.

The Sea and Sea YS-01. Very good small strobe, easy to use, and should provide TTL exposure for most point and shoots. Check the S&S website for compatibility or call them.

Price is $430 retail, but there was an e-bay seller out of Hong Kong selling them for $375.00.

This strobe will serve you very well for any compact camera set-up. If you get really serious you can add a second stobe later.

You REALLY see a difference in the color quality of your shots once you have a strobe.

GuyHP said "You REALLY see a difference in the color quality of your shots once you have a strobe" What I would like to add is you cannot imagine how frustrating it is to be on a great diving trip and have stobe issues. It only happens once and you immediately upgrade to a better quality strobe. I am mean as they come but NOT on flashes they are worth every penny you pay for them....If a trip costs you $5k then a few hundred on a strobe feels like peanuts when you are in the tropics eating your arms off with a lousy flash...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom