My portables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Installing extra tubing on a compressor raises concerns about reliability of the connections. The issue mainly concerns those compressors with engine drives and the associated vibration. An electric or hydraulic motor driven compressor could be fitted with metal tubing connections without much concern as the Kidde is well balanced. However, due to asynchrony between engine pulses and those of the pump the gas engine type of installation will always be subject to vibration. Not only are extra tubing fittings a possible failure point but also the intercooler aluminum tubing used on 2nd generation Kidde pumps. Kidde tried to prevent flexing by installing a dozen insulated cable clamps and brackets. I ensured these were properly mounted and went further by suppressing vibration of the entire compressor frame as much as practical. If one looks closely at the pic there is a steel bracket which fastens one of the engine head bolts to the frame. There is also a bracket bolted between the drive adapter and the engine cover (side). There is a bracket which mounts the front of the pump to the frame. Moreover, the vibration is less if the compressor and engine run at the same speed and not less than 3000 rpm. So, the pulleys are the same size and my engines turn at 3300 rpm.

I've discussed several problems areas possibly giving the impression that things will surely go awry. Over time, things will go south with any mechanical device or system and the Kidde is no different. However, I have found these machines to be reliable and well suited for certain types of service, namely portable applications where the compressor is supposed to be light and easy to carry, and though it won't be used every day, when it is used a high level of performance is required.

All, Several of us have Kidde and Noah Howden compressors in the 4cfm to 12 cfm for a twin stack. I have been building these for over 40 years and have over 300 units sold. Visit my web site.
frogman62
Jim Shelden
sheldensportinggoods.com

Pesky, I had not seen the compressors which you build, although we have talked about them. They are very compact and impressive looking. As you know, I have been building these compressors in gas and electric drive for over 30 years and we both have incorporated some of the innovations from Gunnar Alftair. I have 9 of the 4 cfm Kidde's in almost new condition and 11 of the 6 cfm Noah Howden compressors remaining and have only been selling them in a built up configuration. I use powder coated frames also and Honda 6.5 HP motors. I will update my web site to show a gas drive compressor with the 4 cfm compressor. I have many parts for these units as I was able to purchase new parts from Davey and Noah Howden.
I have new and good used 2nd 3rd and 4th stages for the 4 cfm and over 50 complete depot overhaul kits for the N-H compressors. If any of our readers have a Kidde that is in need of a repair or have one to build up for themselves, I'll be happy to offer suggestions and parts if needed. Also some of our readers might like to join the yahoo group -- Compressor_Team --to learn more about the virtues of Kidde, Cornelius, Stewart-Warner and other military compressors.
Frogman62
sheldensportinggoods.com

Back
Top Bottom