My Research Note For Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, you go all out! I love this!! (But could never pull it off myself).

Many newcomers choose a popular oceanfront option just north of town from these adjacent properties, named in order heading north out of Kralendijk – Belmar Condo.s, Sand Dollar Condo.s, Buddy Dive Resort (pics below), Captain Don’s Habitat and Hamlett Oasis.

Thanks Richard! Still making my way through it-- what a great resource for first timer's and those who have been only a few times. Actually, it is an awesome resource for anyone, regardless of # of times there. I noticed a typo in the above quoted. I know you meant to type Den Laman condos and not Belmar Condos.

Once again, awesome write up and perfect for a guy like me who has Bonaire on the brain in anticipation of my first trip in mid January and am trying to research every aspect of the place! Thanks so much!

Thanks, Trailboss123! I still had time to edit the post and fix it. Much appreciated.

One of these days maybe I'll get a look at Belmar Bonaire Oceanfront Apartments. Other than Delfins and possibly the Courtyard Marriott getting some attention as they're new, I don't see many reviews about south-of-town lodging.

There were a number of options I've read good things about, that I left off to keep it from running even longer.

Richard.

Thanks, Trailboss123! I still had time to edit the post and fix it. Much appreciated.

One of these days maybe I'll get a look at Belmar Bonaire Oceanfront Apartments. Other than Delfins and possibly the Courtyard Marriott getting some attention as they're new, I don't see many reviews about south-of-town lodging.

There were a number of options I've read good things about, that I left off to keep it from running even longer.

Richard.
I can't give a detailed write up on Bel Mar, but I did spend a little bit of time in one of the condos this past August while with some friends that were staying there. It seems like a very viable option and they swear by it, having stayed there on multiple trips. Very nice house reef, close to the southern reefs and reasonably priced. Seems to be on par with package deals from Buddy, Den Laman and Captain Don's.

Spectacular write up, Dr Rich. Almost everything anyone needs to know about a trip to Bonaire.

Bonaire has become my favourite dive location, not because it has the best reefs or big stuff, as you clearly explained, but because it is the last and best of places where an independent diver can have the dive freedom to go when and where he pleases, dive as long as he likes alone or with friends without being herded along. I get that many divers take comfort in being part of a guided dive, but if you, like me, read Jacques Cousteau’s Silent World and imagined themselves exploring the sea and its creatures this is the place to do it. I have done hundreds of dives in Bonaire and they continue to be the most satisfying.

One thing I would add is that the accommodation options in Bonaire are not limited to the established resorts. There are lots of private rentals that can work very well through agencies like Island Time, Sunbelt and others along with Homeaway, VRBO, Air BnB, etc. which work very well and can be economical, particularly if you are with a family group or couples. For example, Bonaire Exclusiev has modest but comfortable houses in a community with an excellent shared pool just a couple of blocks from the sea. Or places like Playa Lechi or Elegancia are right on the boulevard just a short walk from the town center and the dining, shopping and entertainment opportunities there, but with pretty good diving right out front. You are essentially on the Something Special site and only steps from Dive Friends Yellow Submarine for tanks if you choose one of these options.

Once again, great report

AGD

agd:

True. I went for the bigger, established setups where the plan would be a well-beaten path for first timers & similar. If I recall correctly, @uncfnp liked Beachcomber Villas. Here's the blurb I had on them:

Beachcomber Villas – offer 2 2nd floor 1-bedroom apartments with balcony for up to 2 guests each. Has a pool. House reef is the Cliff. Dive Friends Bonaire has a very close location. Read the fine print – on one page it notes air conditioner use between 8 p.m. and 8 a.m. is included, but “Air conditioning usage can be extended to anytime you are in your suite for $30 per day.” Tourist tax not included in rates, weekly cleaning included but an optional mid-week cleaning is extra. Scanning reviews, I see the hosts live on-site and were very helpful. No on-site restaurant, but walkable to Captain Don’s or Buddy Dive Resort (which do).

ScubaGypsy:

Yes, but it's dated. Going off memory here, so hope I don't screw it up. My 1st 4 trips were with a local dive group that stayed there. That was under prior management, and they changed up the grounds a bits since I was there (I think last there in 2010). The apartment 'row' reminded me a bit of a strip mall. It had sandy beach, man-made, did NOT extend into the water. There was a small pier to get in & out. The shoreline had a rocky ledge, a big one (on the beach side where water washed over the rocky ledge shallowly, a friend and I liked to take dive lights topside and watch chain moray eels hunt in water maybe an inch or two deep at night). Their website seemed less diver focused when I visited it.

It had sandy bottom and some rubble. Fin out aways and there was a big 'bowl' effect, with the wreck of the Bakanal (wooden; I don't know what it'd look like after all these years). Or go to the north end of the property, dive, look at the tugboat (deep), and go north - I believe you're diving the Front Porch dive site then? The onsite dive op. WannaDive was reputable.

I'll try to post you a few pics from there, but remember these are several years out of date.

Bonaire Land Richard080.jpg
Richard SD SX10 004.jpg
Richard SD SX10 013.jpg
Eden's Rubble - Richard173.jpg
IMG_0326.jpg
Added Bonaire Files190.jpg

Hey @drrich2

Beachcombers Villas has had some transitional years as it changed hands but there are now new owners that do live onsite and although I have not stayed there in several years, I have heard that they too provide exceptional personal service and have made a few diver friendly updates. @AdivingBel may be able to provide an updated review.

We found several years ago that we were mostly diving the southern sites so switched to a rental at Port Bonaire. We rent whatever condo Connie has available for our dates (she owns 4 there now) and have been pleased every time. Bonus - her condos are fully ac with no restrictions other than the request not to use unless needed and you are actually in the condo.

Review of OceanScape condo at Port Bonaire Residencia

ScubaGypsy:

Yes, but it's dated. Going off memory here, so hope I don't screw it up. My 1st 4 trips were with a local dive group that stayed there. That was under prior management, and they changed up the grounds a bits since I was there (I think last there in 2010). The apartment 'row' reminded me a bit of a strip mall. It had sandy beach, man-made, did NOT extend into the water. There was a small pier to get in & out. The shoreline had a rocky ledge, a big one (on the beach side where water washed over the rocky ledge shallowly, a friend and I liked to take dive lights topside and watch chain moray eels hunt in water maybe an inch or two deep at night). Their website seemed less diver focused when I visited it.

It had sandy bottom and some rubble. Fin out aways and there was a big 'bowl' effect, with the wreck of the Bakanal (wooden; I don't know what it'd look like after all these years). Or go to the north end of the property, dive, look at the tugboat (deep), and go north - I believe you're diving the Front Porch dive site then? The onsite dive op. WannaDive was reputable.

I'll try to post you a few pics from there, but remember these are several years out of date.

My understanding is that there is new ownership and the rooms have been redone. Going to find out soon as we have a Rhode Island group headed there for 09-16 November.

Also, are you aware of technical diving opportunities? We found some possible guided dive sites and have inquired about such. The last that I had heard is that the Windjammer wreck is by permit only. We're also interested in any possible cave diving opportunities but all we have seen so far is cave snorkeling tours.

Do you know if double aluminum 80s are available for rent? Are there aluminum 40 and 80 stages too? Are the valves yoke or DIN with inserts?

Appreciate your insights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom