My shipwreck photos to be published in a book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulation on getting published; it's a special feeling for sure.

Some sites/publications (don't know if this is the case with SB; I hope not) may require that the reproduction of images requires a transfer of copyright.
It's not a "transfer of copyright" ie ownership, but without having copyright, I can't publish pages to all who come here. Copyrights are not "exclusive" as is ownership. I can't give anyone else copyright to the images here, which is "ownership", but you've granted me the "rights" to "copy" your work as many times as I see fit (think users viewing the work). So yes, when you publish your pictures here you are granting me copyright, but you're not transferring ownership.

To put this into perspective, while I'm not a lawyer (I have ethics :D ), but I do have to deal with copyright issues day in and day out. Should you post a copyrighted image here on SB which is not yours to publish and -if- the copyright owner requests that I delete it from SB, then I have to and we do, no ifs, ands or buts about it. However, I am not required to check the copyright ownership of any image posted here. The onus to notify me of any problematic images are with the owner of the image. Usually, a site has 90 days in which to comply but we usually do it upon notification. No, we do not verify ownership, if it's claimed, we assume they are correct and will delete the problematic images. Perhaps someone should start a thread on copyrights rather than continue to hijack Marie's thread. :(

I had a good chuckle when I was told my pics were going to be published as I took them with my el cheapo camera, when there are many of you hauling around big expensive camera rigs. :wink:

I’ve always had a good eye. That counts for a lot.
I have friends who will say to me "WOW Hoag your pictures are so good! You must have an amazing camera!"

My typical response is to ask them if they were ever at a friend's house and have a terrific meal if they would say "WOW that was an incredible meal! You must have an amazing oven!" When I put it in those terms, they get that while the technology helps, (I am a self admitted "gear head" when it comes to photography.) it is the vision and the talent of the photography that results in the difference between a "snapshot", and an "image".

Update - book publication date is Aug 26! :D

The Great Navy Birds of Lake Michigan: The True Story of the Privateers of Lake Michigan and the Aircraft They Rescued

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Navy-Birds-Lake-Michigan/dp/1634991435?tag=viglink1659178-ar15-20

IMG_2226.PNG

For those who don’t know, there was World War II US Navy carrier pilot training on Lake Michigan. Two sidewheel Great Lakes passenger steamers were turned into “freshwater flattops.” President George HW Bush did his training here. A lot of planes were lost in the lake. A&T Recovery recovers the planes for the Navy. Along the way, they found a few shipwrecks, including the Wells Burt (discovered in the late 80s).

This is fantastic! Great job!!

:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom