My son Rich died spearfishing 5 yrs ago today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Md Spear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Today ,5 years ago ,my son Rich died spreafishing offshore Cape Hatteras on the wreck of the Dixie Arrow. Sunk in WWII the wreck and the Proteus were his favorite wreck dive sites do to their history and w/age, they are truley glorious habitats.

Man, do I miss,him and this year some reason, his death feels as though it just occured. I know his work here on earth was completed and God took him home, but as a Dad, I dont know if you ever really recover from the death of a child.

Many times I have wished I didnt get hm intrested inthe sport, but then I remember his words " Dad, they only time I can really put my probems aside is when I am diving. Diving makes me feel ALIVE "

I saw this interview on TV with Ringo Star after John Lennon died and on the subject of grief, Ringo said" time will heal the wound, but time takes time". Of course at that time I thought what the hell is that, but now of course I understand.

So give your loved ones and friends a hug today and lets all be safe on our next venture into the deep.

Death of my son while spearfishing - Spearboard Spearfishing Community heres link to the original story of my son's death.

Even today, news of a diver in distress seems to paralize my soul. I was afraid to even read about Rob Murphys leg loss for weeks as it seemed as if he was my own son, and I have never even met the man.So my son Rich's death at sea has affected my subconscious mind in so many ways.

The good news is my son and I were partners in an evergreen tree farm for our Living Fence program, so I still get to greet the day providing natures art work and oxygen generating units for the metro area.

Here 's my last post on the thread of Richard being lost at sea. It sorta sums it all up from that fateful day.

Tonite @ 12:00 midnite USCG called ending the search for my son Rich. To all , my deepest gratitude for a valiant effort.
Twice @ my request the USCG extened the dead line and continued the search. After 36 hrs of exposure, computer models indicated life failure. Upon noting Rich was diver w/ 2 mil wetsuit and a working outdoor landscape contractor who lifted weights and IMHO stood a perhaps slightly better chance than normal for longer survival in the open sea, the NC Coast Guard continued the mission for 60 hrs from start of the search ,even commiting nite flights w/ infrared heat search technology. I was informed they felt he was no longer on the surface. 14 sorties were flown covering over 2000 sq miles w/ hundreds, maybe thousands of manhours of both search and support teams. A cutter and support craft also covered the scene. I know in my heart and I saw some of it in person that a supreme effort was put forth by all.I cant believe Rich is gone but I recognize the data presented.
You know, its the strangest things that make a man break down and cry...........like putting your son's boots in the truck knowing he will never fill them again.Wondering why his gear bag is empty? My life will have a very empty spot in it w/ the death of my son.
Once again from my heart, thank you and God Bless All . Wade

Lotta tears today, but the sun is brite and it is another glorious day on God's earth

Attachments

• img043.jpg
    img043.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 234
  • img030.jpg
    img030.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 204
  • 013_14A.JPG
    013_14A.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Beautiful post, thank you for sharing and deepest sympathies to you and your family.

I think every parent who reads your post shares a little bit of your loss. Thank you for sharing.

setting Rich's Stone

Attachments

• 014_15A.jpg
    014_15A.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 016_17A.jpg
    016_17A.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 019_20A.jpg
    019_20A.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 156
  • P1010024.jpg
    P1010024.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 162
  • P1010132.jpg
    P1010132.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 143
God bless and comfort you brother. God knows what it is like to lose a Son as well and He hurts when we hurt.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made know to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Jesus Christ. Phillipians 4:6,7

Thank you for posting. I like the way your writing can so well describe everything from the scientific parameters of a search, to your work with the trees, to how much you miss your son. How lucky for him to have you for a Dad.

That’s a touching post. I’m very sorry for your loss. I agree that he was quite lucky to have such a loving father. I really hope time cushions your loss.

My prayers to you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom