My thoughts on Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John C. Ratliff

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have rather belatedly signed up for this thread on solo diving, but I have been solo diving since the 1960s. If it were not for solo diving, I would have dropped diving altogether in the 1980s, when raising my family became my priority. Well, my older son just celebrated his 25 birthday, and my younger son is off to grad school, so my fatherly duties are completed. I can now work in other areas that I have neglected over the years.

Let me give you some biography, which may help to explain my ideas on solo diving. I began diving in 1959, after watching The Silent World at a local movie theator in Salem, Oregon, USA. I was certified in 1963, LA County; joined the US Air Force in 1967, and was certified by the US Navy School for Underwater Swimmers that year; graduated from USAF Pararescue Transition School in 1967, participated in Rescue and Recovery Squadrons in Okinawa, Korea, Bermuda, Florida and South Vietnam in the 1967-71 era; became a NAUI Instructor (#2710) in 1973; was a USAF Pararescueman in the USAF Reserves from 1972 to 1977; and wrote about solo diving as a NAUI Instructor in 1981. That article, entitled "A Case for Solo Diving," appeared in the May/June 1981 issue of NAUI News. I will be reproducing it here for you when the opportunity arises.

Yesterday, I enjoyed an interesting solo dive, using the UDS-1 system I rehabilitated a few years back. That undoubtedly was a very advanced scuba, with some inherent defects that caused it to be unsuccessful. But I've worked through the unit's problems, and now enjoy diving it a lot. I saw a few fish, mostly suckers and small-mouth bass, in the Clackamas River at High Rocks park in the Portland, Oregon USA area. I choose that area because they have lifeguards there during the summer, which I feel is a plus when solo diving.

For me, solo diving has been a very good form of exercise, and a way of stress relief from the daily stresses of job and family. I can go to the water, get a dive in and come back to the world refreshed. I usually dive fresh water, and shallow, but I dive a variety of different types of gear. This includes some of the older, vintage gear (double hose regs) and some that I've developed myself.

With this intro, and the statement that I feel solo diving is a very legitimate form of diving, I'm going to go get some lunch, and do my household chores. More later...

SeaRat

John, Hi.

Thanks, interesting post. Nice to hear from another Oregonian. I'm down in Medford, myself, and although new to scuba I'm fascinated by the early history.

I'll be diving some of the San Diego wrecks in two weeks, with another early-adopter diver I met down there. He's around our ages, and like you he learned to dive in his 'teens. I'm really looking forward to a change from the algal soup of our local lakes and rivers.

But my local waters do make good, safe ground for practicing skills, which I do a lot, solo. I get a much bigger return on time spent working on skills that way, and I find it relaxing as well. I'm still hoping to find a buddy who "clicks," but it's a small dive community down here. So far no luck.

Best regards,
Bryan

John C. Ratliff:
I have rather belatedly signed up for this thread on solo diving, but I have been solo diving since the 1960s. If it were not for solo diving, I would have dropped diving altogether in the 1980s, when raising my family became my priority. Well, my older son just celebrated his 25 birthday, and my younger son is off to grad school, so my fatherly duties are completed. I can now work in other areas that I have neglected over the years.

Let me give you some biography, which may help to explain my ideas on solo diving. I began diving in 1959, after watching The Silent World at a local movie theator in Salem, Oregon, USA. I was certified in 1963, LA County; joined the US Air Force in 1967, and was certified by the US Navy School for Underwater Swimmers that year; graduated from USAF Pararescue Transition School in 1967, participated in Rescue and Recovery Squadrons in Okinawa, Korea, Bermuda, Florida and South Vietnam in the 1967-71 era; became a NAUI Instructor (#2710) in 1973; was a USAF Pararescueman in the USAF Reserves from 1972 to 1977; and wrote about solo diving as a NAUI Instructor in 1981. That article, entitled "A Case for Solo Diving," appeared in the May/June 1981 issue of NAUI News. I will be reproducing it here for you when the opportunity arises.

Yesterday, I enjoyed an interesting solo dive, using the UDS-1 system I rehabilitated a few years back. That undoubtedly was a very advanced scuba, with some inherent defects that caused it to be unsuccessful. But I've worked through the unit's problems, and now enjoy diving it a lot. I saw a few fish, mostly suckers and small-mouth bass, in the Clackamas River at High Rocks park in the Portland, Oregon USA area. I choose that area because they have lifeguards there during the summer, which I feel is a plus when solo diving.

For me, solo diving has been a very good form of exercise, and a way of stress relief from the daily stresses of job and family. I can go to the water, get a dive in and come back to the world refreshed. I usually dive fresh water, and shallow, but I dive a variety of different types of gear. This includes some of the older, vintage gear (double hose regs) and some that I've developed myself.

With this intro, and the statement that I feel solo diving is a very legitimate form of diving, I'm going to go get some lunch, and do my household chores. More later...

SeaRat

Interesting:
I wish I had such a hisstory. But alas, I am new to diving, only 10 years so far, if you dont count the three weeks I did in 68 down int USVI.
After 68 everything got in the way; military service, family etc. Ten yrs ago my son and his friends in Boy Scouts wanted to do Scuba diving as High Adventure (BSA has place called Sea Base in FL). I volunteered to be one of the adult leaders. After doing 4 consecutive trips (annually) to the Sea Base and my son going off to college, I got more deeply involved in diving.
Realizing most of our local wrecks are in 100-130 foot range, I took a Deep and Wreck class. The instructor actually went into tech aspect of this relm, in additon to total self sufficiency/ and reliance.
I continued to work with this instructor progressing toward divemaster. For the most part all the work has been done except the paperwork, which I doubt will ever get done. But the most important part was I got the experience.
Now most of my diving (locally) is wreck diving (can't stand sand). I try to get in one trip per week. Depending on conditions, this will get me zero to two dives per week.
Have continued formal training with Advanced Nitrox, and Deco procedures.

Uncle Pug:
... how do you go about working on buddy skills during these dives?

Hi Uncle Pug,

'Good to hear from you. Maybe we can get together again sometime this year.

Concerning the buddy skills, that is a bit difficult when diving solo. To me, buddy skills deal with emergency out-of-air situations, keeping track of the buddy, establishing a leader/follower role strategy, checking the buddy, use of a buddy line (especially in poor visibility), etc. Each of these really does require a buddy to practice, unless I'm missing something.

One thing about solo diving, is that many of these skills are things we would rather not practice. Last weekend, at the same site noted above, I looked for a lifeguard's sunglasses (he lost them jumping into the water--I was not successful in finding them either). While looking, I found an intact beaver skeleton, and spent about 20 minutes getting various bones (including an intact skull, but not the lower jaw).

These are some of the things that interest me, but would not a dive buddy, which is one reason for my solo diving. Buddy skills would not play a role in such a dive either. But good equipment management, use of air, etc. would and these may be transferable to when I buddy dive.

SeaRat

Hi John:
Very nice post. I too have been diving since 1960. Started with USD two hose reg and twin 72's. Lots of solo dives in Lake Huron, Michigan and Superior over the years. I have had my own business for the last 25 years its a service company so I was mostly alone and found out I don't mind my own company. Even under water its a lot easier not to have to keep track of anyone. I don't need to share sights with anyone to make them enjoyable. Have been known to sit on an under water cliff and listen to humpbacks for 20 min. or hover over a coral head and watch a couple of juvenile damselfish for 10 - 15 minutes. No phone, no connection with the world above. Times like those you just have to be alone. Any way. Thanks again.
montyb

John C. Ratliff:
Concerning the buddy skills, that is a bit difficult when diving solo.
'Tis true. UP does have that streak in him, that delights in tweaking us about solo.

John C. Ratliff:
To me, buddy skills deal with emergency out-of-air situations, keeping track of the buddy, establishing a leader/follower role strategy, checking the buddy, use of a buddy line (especially in poor visibility), etc.
That's a part of the issue of clicking with a potential buddy. Does he or she want to put in some few tank's worth of time working on these and other facets of a dive team? While my OW course missed the boat completely on this topic, it's not something I'm prepared to overlook.

I've had good luck buddying up on the only three dive trips I've taken, always finding someone about my age (who's had many more years diving). That's contrary to the usual SB thread about disappointing insta-buddies. And they've become friends who keep in touch. Next week I'm staying with one of them, who's going to show me "his" wrecks.

I continue to solo, to work on those basic skills that can keep me stable and safe, even when challenged and distracted. I've seen grace underwater as good as anything on ice skates, and I want that. And I want it second-nature. Don't ask me why, but the local divemasters have occasionally asked me to do special duty at dive gatherings (like chaperoning newly-certified teenage divers underwater).

When I find someone locally whom I want to travel and dive with, I'd want us to have worked on those buddy skills before we're at a faraway dive destination. Yes, I'm picky. But I'm regularly buddying up with new divers locally, and I try to be as good a mentor as the mentors I've had.

Bryan

As promised, here is the article I wrote:

A Case for Solo Diving

by John Ratliff, NAUI 2710
NAUI News, May/June 1981, Pg 17-18

There have been many reasons given for diving in a buddy team. One of the better ones I have seen is in Lloyd Bridges’ book, Mask and Flippers:

“But the most important rule we learned was the ‘Buddy’ system of diving. With scuba we are free and independent with nothing to tie us to the surface world. This is at once a blessing and a curse. Once we disappear from the sight of companions, we are completely on our own and must be able to extricate ourselves from any trouble by our own initiative. We cannot wait for help. If help is needed it must be close at hand and immediately available. When we dive alone, companions will not miss us until it is too late. Men have died a lonely death with companions a few feet away, on the surface. In addition to the safety it provides, sharing the fun and excitement of an underwater adventure with a buddy doubles the enjoyment. And it is always good to have a witness who can back up stories of your exploits and experiences.”1

“Mike Nelson” has a point, in some circumstances. The buddy system, however, has been so ingrained in the thinking of divers that it is felt to be taboo to dive alone. Yet, very few divers actually practice the buddy system. What normally happens, in reality, is that two divers enter and exit together -- and scarcely look at each other in between -- and call it a biddy system.

There are some basic principles that should allow us the freedom to chose to dive alone. And I believe that diving alone is not a sin! There are valid reasons for doing it. There are also criteria to be used in evaluating whether or not a person should dive alone under any circumstance.

First, I will deal with my personal reasons for solo diving.

In the Air Force, as a pararescueman, I was trained in both the buddy system and to be self-sufficient. The buddy system was emphasized, but it was also understood that if a rescue attempt necessitated solo diving and swimming, it would be done. This has carried over into my other diving, be it for recreation or work.

I love to dive. I also am involved in basic research concerning both sub-tidal biology and the development of new, more efficient diving gear. Very simply, if I waited to dive until I had a diving buddy, I wouldn’t dive on many occasions.

Most of the time, I would actually prefer to dive with a buddy, but when I’m lying on my stomach, watching a medium-sized anemone with commensal amphipods doing its thing for a half an hour, in cold North Pacific waters, not too many divers want to be my buddy. Most biological observation diving involves staying in one place for an extended period of time...and it can get very cold.

Most of my solo diving has not been in the ocean or esturine waters. I live less than five minutes from a small reservoir of the North Umpqua River, near Roseburg, OR. The site I dive most is shallow -- 10 to 20 feet. It is in these tame areas that I pursue my hobbies both as an underwater naturalist and by testing newly designed diving gear that I hope to make into a mainstay of the diving industry.

Aside from that, there are occasions I dive solo strictly for the pure fun of it.

Sometimes I feel more relaxed when diving alone because I’m responsible only for myself, and not another diver’s safety, as well. In places like the Pacific Northwest, buddy diving can be tense because of low visibility and the amount of equipment a person must use. Gloves inhibit even physical contact. To be effective, the buddy system must use the leader / follower technique in these waters. If contact is lost, the dive must be interrupted until contact is somehow re-established.

The British Sub Aqua Club actually states that “In very low visibility, i.e., below 1 metre, a diver is often very much better off diving alone. Two divers in such conditions are liable to get in each other’s way, get tangled up and probably displace equipment.”2

Solo Checklist

So, when should a diver draw the line? Following is my own personal checklist which I mentally go over prior to deciding to dive solo (also prior to diving with a buddy in some cases):

1. If I feel out of sorts for any reason at all, the dive is scrubbed. This includes feeling bad mentally or physically; or not having the correct gear to make the dive.
2. If the diving conditions -- both weather and water -- are the least questionable I won’t dive.
3. Usually I only dive solo at a site I’ve dived previously, especially in salt water.
4. I try not to dive solo in open salt water or in the tropical salt water environment, where there are more hazardous types of marine life and the diver is less protected by diving apparel.

One further point should be made. I don’t feel comfortable solo diving in anything but a pretty “tame” situation. I have personally squelched even buddy dives when I felt conditions were questionable.

I’m personally glad that this once forbidden subject has been broached, and lend my support to the concept of solo diving, and the subsequent reduction of the stigma against diving alone. As with buddy diving, and diving in general, however, the limitations of solo diving must be made very clear. This can be done by instructors teaching solo diving, just as airplane pilots are taught to fly alone. It can become a specialty form of diving, with its own special training; just like cave, wreck, ice, night and deep diving are legitimate specialties.

References
1Bridges, Lloyd, as told to Bill Barada, Mask and Flippers, the Story of Skin Diving, Cornerstone Library Publications, 1960; page 61.
2Zanelli, Leo, ed. British Sub Aqua Club Manual, 7th edition, Andover: Standard Press, Ltd., 1972.

John Ratliff began scuba diving in 1960, and became a NAUI Instructor in 1972. From 1967 to 1971 he served as a U.S. Air Force Pararescueman in Okinawa, Bermuda, Florida and Vietnam. During that time he participated in NASA’s Apollo 13 mission and was awarded a number of medals for his rescue work. He has participated in a number of physiological, biological and archaeological research projects; has started his own company, Environmental Adaptations, which develops new diving gear; and works as a safety and health consultant for an Oregon corporation.

I've also enclosed a photo of myself that accompanied that article. I am in USAF parascuba gear circa 1973. The HH-1H helicopter was with the 304th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Squadron in that era, and we both jumped out of it and descended the hoist. We did currency parascuba jumps, configured as I am in the photo, in warmer water (the Columbia River in summer, for instance). We would be in full wet suits for winter jumping. This was before PJs were issued dry suits, as they are now. This photo may also show why we were trained to swim and dive independently (solo), as even if we exited an aircraft at the same time, chances are we would get into the water in different places. Usually, we exited individually, and each jumper followed the next for our jumps, especially out of helicopters. (By the way, I don't quite look like that now, and would not fit into that wet suit now:wink: )

SeaRat

John C. Ratliff:
I’m personally glad that this once forbidden subject has been broached, and lend my support to the concept of solo diving, and the subsequent reduction of the stigma against diving alone. As with buddy diving, and diving in general, however, the limitations of solo diving must be made very clear. This can be done by instructors teaching solo diving, just as airplane pilots are taught to fly alone. It can become a specialty form of diving, with its own special training; just like cave, wreck, ice, night and deep diving are legitimate specialties.

Thank you for sharing the article. The arguments remain the same today. Like a slow drip, drop by drop over a long period of time, it eventually starts to make an impact and change things.

What kind of response did you get from this article? Is this the first pro solo "recreational" scuba published article that you are aware of?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom