My transition to doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the things Layne asked me yesterday was if I was logging my dives. He recommended writing everything down. When I started writing this morning I was already starting to forget little details. I initially wrote this for my own notes, not intending to post but then decided I would share this with everyone. That being said, I plan on devoting a lot of time practicing this winter and will need plenty of dive buddies :D

Lynn...I am 5'9".

Carrie

Carrie, it's a good habit to get into as to logging every dive from now out! Either by electronics or good old hand written style. It provides you in the future with great information about the site/gear/wt/problems/cost/features. Also it gives you a history of your dives JUST in case some SOB charter wants to review your previouse experience for certain types and locations of diving. I have missed several dozen dives logged over the years, and I know were my spiral note book 'might' be from the '70s. Keep up the diving and always think safety and dive with an objective.

Carrie, it's a good habit to get into as to logging every dive from now out! Either by electronics or good old hand written style. It provides you in the future with great information about the site/gear/wt/problems/cost/features. Also it gives you a history of your dives JUST in case some SOB charter wants to review your previouse experience for certain types and locations of diving. I have missed several dozen dives logged over the years, and I know were my spiral note book 'might' be from the '70s. Keep up the diving and always think safety and dive with an objective.

I had been diving on and off over the last several years and didn't keep good logs. When I signed up for the Divecon course last year I really had to scrounge to come up with logs. Since that time I have been pretty faithful, but now I will not only be keeping a dive log, but a journal such as my initial post that I can refer to.

Carrie

I had been diving on and off over the last several years and didn't keep good logs. When I signed up for the Divecon course last year I really had to scrounge to come up with logs. Since that time I have been pretty faithful, but now I will not only be keeping a dive log, but a journal such as my initial post that I can refer to.

Carrie

................ :D way to go, good plan.

That just doesn't make any sense unless the wing is flapping around because it's not a bungeed wing. That shouldn't cause a slew of buoyancy and trim problems though, just drag. Of course, it is a Halcyon, and from what I understand from those who have drank the Kool-aid those bungeed wings will KILL YOU. Am I right, Alan? :rofl3:

Stick with the 55# wing. You may want to adjust it's position on the backplate to help trim you out. Which in turn will make it easier to release air when you need to do so. Then again, there may be only one "right way to do it" since it's a Halcyon. :wink:

There are plenty of other ways to trim out too. You and Layne will get it figured out. It just takes time. Keep at it... :D

Well, Lynne beat me to it and said it much more eloquently/informatively, but I was thinking you have a wing that is too big. Now, mind you, I'm not personally doubles experienced, but the most of the divers I see and dive with use a 40# for AL80's or LP85's.

I personally love my Halcyon rig. The one and only time I noticed web bruising was when I dove with just a rash guard.

Thank you, carrielsal. Please keep us updated.

Think about getting a Sensus Ultra from Reefnet. They are unobtrusive and log every dive for you.

Carrie

Hi k-valve,

I just looked up the Sensus Ultra and seems super cool, especially to me as a software dev & science guy since they provide dev kits to access the device from your own software.

But I wonder, why would this be an appealing device when just about every computer, even really cheap ones in the same range as the Sensus, also provide this kind of depth profile?

Just curious; I don't dive a computer personally, but it seems like most folks do.

I guess I can give you a few reasons:

1. The first you mentioned yourself...not everyone dives computers.

2. A lot of technical divers dive tables only and certainly all of them should cut tables to take along on the dive. Computers are generally thought of as backups to tables, although certainly not by all.

3. Some computers, like the VR3 have a very cumbersome and not so reliable system for syncing data with the computer. In fact, I can't get either of mine to sync through their system. It's a great trimix and CCR computer with a really crappy mechanism to download dive data. LOL!

The Sensus Ultra is a very simple, reliable, and small device. It works on both the Mac and PC. All it does is record dive data. It does that one job very well. Even though I usually dive with two VR3s strapped to my wrist I still use the Sensus Ultra to record and download my dive data. I like it, but that's just me. Others have differing opinions I'm sure and that is perfectly fine. :wink:

Hi k-valve,

I just looked up the Sensus Ultra and seems super cool, especially to me as a software dev & science guy since they provide dev kits to access the device from your own software.

But I wonder, why would this be an appealing device when just about every computer, even really cheap ones in the same range as the Sensus, also provide this kind of depth profile?

Just curious; I don't dive a computer personally, but it seems like most folks do.

Stick with the 55# wing. You may want to adjust it's position on the backplate to help trim you out. Which in turn will make it easier to release air when you need to do so. Then again, there may be only one "right way to do it" since it's a Halcyon. :wink:

There are plenty of other ways to trim out too. You and Layne will get it figured out. It just takes time. Keep at it... :D

John....... I love my Zeagle #55 wing, had no problems using it for single tank diving either! I much prefer a #55 over a smaller unit,,,,, now that I am diving doubles only plus all the other tanks and gear you have to carry on some dives! Course each diver must be comfy with what works best for them as you would agree. Your instructor is your first level of advise,,,,,the rest of us are just chatter-LOL . Several of us are trully trying to add good input to consider. Best of luck and you will find that solution 'in time'. :D

I guess I can give you a few reasons:

1. The first you mentioned yourself...not everyone dives computers.

2. A lot of technical divers dive tables only and certainly all of them should cut tables to take along on the dive. Computers are generally thought of as backups to tables, although certainly not by all.

3. Some computers, like the VR3 have a very cumbersome and not so reliable system for syncing data with the computer. In fact, I can't get either of mine to sync through their system. It's a great trimix and CCR computer with a really crappy mechanism to download dive data. LOL!

The Sensus Ultra is a very simple, reliable, and small device. It works on both the Mac and PC. All it does is record dive data. It does that one job very well. Even though I usually dive with two VR3s strapped to my wrist I still use the Sensus Ultra to record and download my dive data. I like it, but that's just me. Others have differing opinions I'm sure and that is perfectly fine. :wink:

k-valve...I had looked at the Sensus in the past. What benefit does this give you for logging? Is it because your VR3's will not synch?

Carrie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom