My X-Vision Mask fogs up real bad, how do you fix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonscubas

Contributor
Reaction score
Tried defog, gell type, didn't work. What is the best way to prep the mask prior to using defog to get rid of the fog?

What cleaning method do you guys do? Most importantly, how many times do you wash it or treat it to resolve the fogging problem?

Spit doesn't work either, any advice?

toothpaste and a toothbrush, scrub the lenses for a few minutes to clean off the coating that forms on the lens when they are made.

Spit in your mask rub it in with yur fingers and give it a rinse erverytime you go diving.

My X-Vision never fogs and I just use spit (while everybody else is passing around bottles of whichever gunk happens to be fashionable at the moment). I did initially clean the mask with toothpaste (paste, not gel). I used my fingers to rub it in well, in small corcles (although a toothbrush seems soft enough to do the job without scratching). I did notice some white paste stuck between the skirt and the lens in places, but it disappeared after the first dive or two.

Since then, I just use spit, and I never have fogging problems.

I'll "third" that advice. Toothpaste.

When they make a scuba mask, manufacturers pour silicone into a mold that's covered in a "releasing agent." Think of it as "Vaseline" or something similar. It's all over the mold, and helps to release the silicone skirt from the mold after it cools.

Well, invariably, some of that releasing agent gets on the lenses. It's clear, so it's not noticed.

For fog to form inside your mask, a rough surface must exist... The water vapor must have something to condense on. Body oils, any sort of "goo," and even the releasing agent can act as a "nucleus" for which the vapor can condense upon.

Many "anti-fog" agents are simply a kind of "soap" which is designed to keep the glass ultra-clean, and therefore not allow a "nucleus" on which the water vapor can condense, causing the fogging. Other anti-fogs (including spit) work by "coating" the glass so that the water vapor never comes in contact with the nucleus. Of course, this will work only to a degee... If there's enough "goo" on the glass, you're probably going to get some fogging anyway.

So... The best I can recommend is to remove the nucleus... Then coat the glass too. This should combat the problem nicely.

Some have used dishwashing soap to clean the glass really well, but that can leave a residue which is irritating to the eyes. Alcohol can work well, too, but may harm the silicone of the mask skirt. My personal favorite is toothpaste. Put a little dab of it on all of the interior glass surfaces of your mask, add a little water, and use your finger to rub it into the glass and get everything nice-n-clean. Rinse well... Even toothpaste can be irritating to the eyes.

Next time you go diving, spit should work just fine. It's free and plentiful, too, and you never forget it and leave it in the dive bag. :)

There's also the side benefit of having your mask fresh-n-minty! :D

I've already started with the toothpaste, white paste type). I will let you know how it goes.

It's a great mask, I love the side viewing ability characteristics and I can just about see the d-rings on my chest. I like it alot. Since it kept fogging up I just added some water and swished it around, kind of annoying, but I didn't have a choice at the time.

Clean as already described (not just once, but every several months).

Then, after you spit (or apply fashionable defog), rinse quickly and immediately put mask on your face.

Then, do not remove mask from face, and do not exhale from your nose.

Fog solved.

theskull

I use Vim cream cleanser which is a tub and tile type cleaner that has a thick cream like consistancy and is midly abrasive.Vim seems to be abrasive enough to remove the film on the glass but not to scratch it .

I'm not sure if it's available in the US or not but it is in Canada. Perhaps you have something similiar?

Aquaseal/Mcnett also make a mask precleaner called Sea Buff that isn't too bad and that one of my DM buddies swears by.

If the mask has plastic side windows do not use any abrasive cleaner.

The three best defogs I have tried are Seagold, 500 psi and Sea vision. I always offer my super duper instructor spit to students but they always seem shy to try it..??

Good luck !

Like everyone else I use toothpaste (not gel) to prep my masks and maybe once a season after that. For pre-dive anti fog treatment I have found using Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo works the best. It won't irritate your eyes and its alot cheaper than the commerical defoggers. Buy a travel size bottle of the shampoo (~$0.99) and it will last you at least 30 dives.

Hex92

I had just bought Cressi Big Eyes. I love the mask, but I was getting VERY frustrated at the fog-factor. I knew about the toothpaste trick, but I haven't had a new mask since 1984. I cleaned with toothpaste 7 or 8 times before my first ocean dive. The first dive, I did put some defog in the mask on the way out to the divesite. No problems with fog. The next dive, I used just spit and it fogged a bit, but not as bad as my tank sessions with the manatees (back in Cincinnati at the zoo). A few more scrubbings with toothpaste, and the fogging seems to be under control with spit. It does take several times to get a good cleaning, sometimes.

I had heard reports of leak problems with the Big Eyes, but I haven't really had that problem.

I'll keep the trend going and confirm that toothpaste is great for cleaning up a new mask.

I've moved to an X-Vision after loving a Big Eyes that seemed to let just a little bit of water in every dive around the bottom left hand area (where the crinkles lie between mouth end and nose).

Every face is different! I love my X-Vision and have had no problems at all with it - both masks offer fantastic downward visibility of slung gear and guages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom