My Zellet is now Scared to dive.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with UP, good post Rachel. It is true I haven't seen many die. I think all the ones I've seen hauled off in an ambulance lived. All the ones I pulled out lived (crossing my fingers and knocking on wood). I hope it's not just luck.

I will say that the few problems I have had on dives were easily handled by doing what I trained to do. I have had a couple of students scare the daylights out of me, though. Maybe it's why my attitudes are what they are.

I think that if someone has second thoughts about diving they should pay attention to them. It might mean something. I don't think they should be quieted by testemonials about how safe it is and how every one does it.

Personally I went from repeating the "it's as safe as bowling" to forming very strong opinions about what dive training should be and teaching better classes to wondering if I wanted to teach at all.

I'm thinking that if I am having second thoughts at this stage of the game it might not hurt for you to.

BTW, My son is 17. Right now he is over at Gilboa working for Mike. My son has hundreds of dives and is one of the best in the water you'll see. However, he is under strict orders not to dive unless I'm there.

I'll bet I didn't help any did I.

At least in my training, the first thing they covered was why are you here?

You must dive for yourself, not because your husband, girlfriend, mother or father are pressuring you. You have to do it because it is a desire you and only you wish to pursue. If you son isn't ready, wait until he is. You will both be happier for it in the long run. Otherwise, he'll have a bad experience and hate it from the get-go. No one should dive if they are being pressured into it.

Does he worry alot about other things? Maybe he has an anxiety order which needs to be evaluated. Is he insecure about his abilities?
Lloyd

It depends on what he is nervous of. I was very nervous when I went to do my OW, not so much of free flows or anything because I knew what to do to deal with that stuff, although it was a bit daunting to think that the skills I could do perfectly in the pool would have to be repeated in the OW.

My biggest fear (still is actually) is finding myself on my own without my buddy or without other divers in sight. it didn't bother me so much on my courses because you are under an instructors supervision but on my first non-training dives it was all I could think about. Something that helped me loads was bringing a buddy line on the dive cause I knew that if I felt uncomfortable or nervous or if the viz or currents were bad I could attach myself to my buddy and carry on. Having spent £15 on a buddy line I then never used it for the dive but knowing it was there gave me that extra confidence I needed to do the dive.

The major thing I ave found is that when I am on a dive, there is so much to see that I totally stop thinking about things that can go wrong. My first wreck dive was absolutely great - all the life that was around and even though it was only a relatively small wreck (Countess of Erne) I don't think I will ever forget the feeling I first caught sight of the wreck on my descent - I think I hung on the line for about 3mins just taking it in! :) In the end even though the viz wasn't great my buddy was more worried about me losing him than vice versa because every couple of seconds I would see something that I wanted to get a closer look at or some brightly coloured fish would swim past and I would try to follow.

So maybe if he thinks about that aspect of it rather than the skills and problems aspect it will help him to relax a bit. It worked for me :wink:

There is a difference between nervous and fearful. I get nervous every time just before I get into the water. Actually a little nervous is a good thing. Maybe that is why I check my gas supply and BC several times before hitting the water. Fearful, I had better not be! My actual largest fear is making a fool out of myself, LOL.

I won't share my worst stories because most them happened on the type of dives that a new open water diver will not be encouraged to try early in their "diving career". If he is below a certain age, then he isn't even allowed to dive that deep. The bottom line is that l have learned from each and every time that I go into the water. I chill out once I descend and become fascinated by the weightlessness and peace underwater. I don't care if it is a wreck below 100 ft. or a shallow dip.

I want to learn to Scuba Dive because it will be interesting seeing all the fish uderwater. It's also cool that you can just stay underwater with out coming up (for air) and being weightless. When I do the Scuba Review I will work on problem solving. I will get over my fear of not knowing what to do.

It is very cool to be weightless! There is lots to see underwater. Fish and shipwrecks and all those things that you can see that your teachers and friends may never get to see up close.

You are also right about fearing no knowing what to do. I know that all of us on the board go through the same feelings often. We start with that feeling the first time we dive, and we encounter that feeling every time we do something new, like diving deeper or diving with new equipment.

You have the right attitude . The way to get around not knowing what to do is by training and practising. (Having a good buddy like your dad helps alot too!) That is why all of us practise in shallow water whenever we learn new things or get new equipment.

It is ok to be a little bit anxious before you dive, that is normal and for some people helps them pay attention to the dive. It is not OK to be so afraid that you can't pay attention. If you are afraid, call the dive off - the water will be there tomorrow! You can get some more training or perhaps do an easier dive to build your confidence.

I hope that you have fun diving and see lots of neat things. If you and your dad ever make it up here to Canada - bring your scuba stuff and your dad, you, me, and my son (he is 12 and certified) can all go diving together!

Yep it is fun to be weightless. Especially after hauling all your gear across a huge beach. Ploping down in the water is the best.

Zellet just enjoy yourself and you're pretty smart to be a little nervous. That means you won't be reckless. Smart kid.

Ontario Diver and Al said.

Lots of practice on what you know and have been taught already before moving on to something new will help mke you a confident diver Zellet.

Keep us posted on your progress.

... a big part of growing up is being afraid, scared or nervous. Ask you Dad, I am sure there are many times is is nervous, or even afraid of things. He may not tell you :D cause then you might not think he is cool. But these things make you a better persona and smarter diver.

Kinda like when you first crossed the road by yourself, a little scary, but when you remembered the rules, "look both ways" "cross with the lights" etc..You use your training.

You are the perfect age to learn new things. Young enough to ask questions and admit when you are afraid, but old enough to learn and remeber the rules.

That is the problem of growing up, too often we afraid to admit we are afraid.

Anyway good luck to you, hang in there and dive when you are comfortable.

Tim

ps wish your Dad a happy Fathers Day.......

Back
Top Bottom