MyBlueBuddy and Depth Correction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BFRedrocks

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,

Still loving my Bluebuddy, but trying to figure something out regarding the App and its ability to "correct" the depth reading for the water type (fresh vs salt) and the altitude (elevation vs sea level). From your website and some forum posts, it is my understanding that:

1) The Bluebuddy actually measures absolute pressure and converts that into a depth based on salt water (i.e., FSW), and sea level.
2) The MyBlueBuddy App (v 1.2.6 for IPhone) includes the ability to enter details about a particular dive site, such as altitude, water type, max depth, etc.
3) By associating a particular dive site with a dive, the App is supposed to "correct" the depth readings (and profile) for the associated dive site's parameters.

In other words, if I associate a dive with a particular dive site that is entered as fresh water with an altitude of 2,000 feet amsl, then the depth readings should be corrected for those parameters. However, the App does not appear to be doing that, and that creates some real differences in the Bluebuddy vs dive computers.

For example, I dove in a freshwater lake with an altitude of about 1,800 ft amsl to a depth of 128 feet. Yet the Bluebuddy only recorded a depth of 119 feet. Why? Well, it recorded it as absolute pressure, which when converted to FSW at sea level equals 119 feet. If you account for fresh water instead of sea water (multiply by 1.03), then the 119 feet becomes 122.6 feet. If you then account for the altitude of 1,800 feet amsl instead of sea level (multiply by 1.05), then the total depth is reported as 128.7 feet. I entered the specific dive site (with fresh water and 1,800 ft elevation) into the App log after downloading to my IPhone, but the max depth of 119 feet never changes, regardless of what I put in for altitude and water type, or dive site (even using established DivePAL sites).

Could you please check the App to make sure it's doing what it is supposed to do in correcting for water type and altitude, if in fact it is supposed to do that? I appreciate the fixes you've made so far but would really appreciate this one so I can match (within a reasonable amount) the Bluebuddy to mine and other folks' dive computers.

THANKS!!!

We have already released a new version of the My bluebuddy Android app that fixes the issue.
We expect to have a new version of the My bluebuddy iPhone app in a couple of weeks.

We have already released a new version of the My bluebuddy Android app that fixes the issue.
We expect to have a new version of the My bluebuddy iPhone app in a couple of weeks.
Thanks Guys...I look forward to using the new version with this issue resolved. :)

Hi Guys, just following up on the iPhone app update...any word on release date? THANKS!!

..... just following up on the iPhone app update...any word on release date? .....
The new version of the My bluebuddy app for iPhone has been submitted to Apple for their review. We expect them to release it in a week or so.

Thanks for the update. Could you please check the new IPhone App version (1.2.7) to make sure it not only corrects for a dive site's altitude (which it appears to do correctly), but that it also corrects for fresh water versus salt water (which it does not appear to do correctly). I tend to dive in the Pacific Ocean or Caribbean (salt water with 0 ft amsl elevation), and my local lake (fresh water with 1,700 ft amsl elevation), so it's imperative that it corrects accurately for both.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom