Mysterious tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep-6

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering a few things about a tank I just obtained. It is an LP Steel 72, Current hydro and VI. The valve has a date of 3-59 on it. It was produced by US Divers. It is a K valve however the Open/Close is at the top of the stem. First hydro date 3-58+. The bottle itself was produced by US Divers and has an ICC# (ICC3AA2250) which also dates it prior to DOT. I believe the fill pressure is 2250. My question is that the boot has an old scubapro emblem on it....the boot appears original. Did USD market bottles as scubapro? Is this a particularly rare find. Should I dive it?

Why not if it passes hydro and vis. Collectibles are in the eye of the beholder. If it was an old double hose that could be rebuilt - wall hanger. Tanks that still work and pass all inspections - dive em!

How would I know if it was a rebuilt double hose?

I was wondering a few things about a tank I just obtained. It is an LP Steel 72, Current hydro and VI. The valve has a date of 3-59 on it. It was produced by US Divers. It is a K valve however the Open/Close is at the top of the stem. First hydro date 3-58+. The bottle itself was produced by US Divers and has an ICC# (ICC3AA2250) which also dates it prior to DOT. I believe the fill pressure is 2250. My question is that the boot has an old scubapro emblem on it....the boot appears original. Did USD market bottles as scubapro? Is this a particularly rare find. Should I dive it?

ICC3AA2250 is 2250# fill pressure, the 3AA designates a steel tank, and you know the ICC. It might be an original, but the boot and emblem could have been put on after. put pictures up and ask on the vintage forum.

Jim has the right answer about diving the tank but don't listen to him about double hose regs.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

put pictures up and ask on the vintage forum

I will have to do that. Neat bottle easily 50+ yrs old.

That is an old style post valve if it's the one I am thinking of. There no reason not to dive it if it passes hydro but be aware, the valve is most likely a tapered thread that will have teflon tape on it. Some dive shops have no clue this tank is OK to service and fill, you may have some trouble with a less than educated LDS. It was sold by USD but they did not actually manufacture it. Odds are there is a manuf mark on it somewhere. The boot can't be original if the manuf date of the tank is 59 (sound about right with that valve) since SP did not come in existance until the mid 60s and USD would have never sold a tank with a SP boot on it....which you need to remove, they hold water and are bad news for steel tanks.

Herman, the boot looks like it's become part of the tank after 40 or so yrs. I don't know how its gonna come off. I totally agree with you though.

The tank has been around longer then Scubapro has been in existence so it can not be the original boot. The boot is taken off every time the tank gets a hydro so there should not be a problem taking it off again. I have a tank just like yours and I still dive it.

Soak it in warm water for a while, odds are it will come off. You an use a soft item like a 2x4 to tap it off. It has to come off for hydro and if it has a lot of rust under it, the tank may not be any good. Might as well look before sending it out.

I have a USD tank dated 3-58, it was made by PST, all USD tanks were. Mine has the 1/2" pipe thread valve but a large neck like the 3/4" valve tanks. 1958-59 was in the range where the switch was being made to 3/4" valves so it could be either. Get the boot off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom