Mystery stingray/skate from Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblevision

Contributor
Reaction score
Saw this on the Boonsung wreck near Khao Lak in the Andaman Sea a few years ago. I've never been able to pinpoint what it is. For a long time I thought it was a skate (e.g. Raja sp.), but now I think it looks more like some of the freshwater Himantura sp. found in Thailand. But obviously this is salt water. Would appreciate any insight!

My best guess would be a female Dasyatidae. Just from those shots I dont really feel confident bringing it down past family. Based on caudal, pelvic and body shape, I believe it eliminates Rajidae (Skates) and Urolophidae (Stingarees).

Thanks Ryan. Actually I've been digging further and it appears to fit Himantura imbricata ("scaly whipray" , formerly Himantura imbricatus) very well. Apparently they like estuarine habitats, and migrate between saltwater and freshwater, which fits well because the Boonsung wreck is not too far from a couple of estuaries.

Back
Top Bottom