Mythbusters test SCUBA tanks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noviz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
From the Mythbusters on popularmechanics.com...

"The forces at play with high-pressure tanks can be huge. If the energy stored in a workshop air-compressor tank is released all at once, it can hurt or kill a person. I once complained to our insurers, “Why are you so fussy about the explosives we use on the show? Every day we make rigs using pressure tanks that are just as dangerous.” Big mistake. Now they fuss about pressure tanks, too.

We're very careful with these tanks — high and low pressure. We saw firsthand what they can do when testing that classic scene from the movie Jaws in which police chief Brody, played by Roy Scheider, shoots the scuba tank wedged in the mouth of Bruce the Shark with a rifle. The tank blows up, shredding the great white's head.

We tried it — minus the shark. We placed an M-1 Garand rigged for remote-control firing in the MythBusters testing facility — i.e., one of our scorched and battered shipping containers — and aimed the rifle at a 3000-psi scuba tank. The .30-caliber bullet drilled a neat hole, and the tank rocketed around impressively — but didn't blow up.

We like things to blow up. So we tried it again, this time with a cigarette-pack-size block of C4 explosive strapped to a fresh tank. When we detonated the C4, the blast from the ruptured tank was so powerful that it bulged the sides of the shipping container.

Another myth we tested was whether a high-pressure air tank would take off like a rocket if its valve was knocked off. So we dropped a large weight from a height of 10 ft. onto the valve of a tank at 2500 psi. The tank punched through two cinder block walls before it came to a dusty, battered rest. Scary stuff.
"

Read the whole thing here..

The episode with the Shark's head was a disappointment because it didn't blow up the way it did in the movie. The were able to cause some carnage, but not like Peter Benchley had it working.. The episode with the cylinder having the valve chopped off was better. The cylinder shot down a track they had made and straight through a cinder block wall. If you didn't know, Jamie Hyneman is a certified Dive master and ran a Dive Charter biz in the Caribbean for awhile before he started doing Special Effects.

I heard a rumor that some guy here on scubaboard shot a tank with a rifle in the desert.

Theres like the biggest thread ever on here but I am not really sure if he ever actually did it. The guy that started the thread just kind of dissapeared after awhile but the thread is still open.

I have a desert and a high-power rifle...anyone care to donate a tank, and I'll post a video?

Hockeynut:
I heard a rumor that some guy here on scubaboard shot a tank with a rifle in the desert.

Kyle finally did it. Posted the video in all. Unfortuneately, that content is buried in the middle of the thread that never dies. (Its right next to MOF)

Just follow my signature guys. :D

Land Locked:
You forgot to include the video post number, wasn't it like 426?
:confused::confused:Chris are those bifocals not working right?? It shows on mine..and I corrected it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom