N-19 Grinding Noise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

betti154

Registered
Reaction score
Guys,

I've got an N-19 that seems to run fine on the surface, but in water towing a diver it seems to grind/slip and net result is no thrust.

I'm heading to the USA where I can pickup part more readily, anyone got any idea on what this may be?

I've very little experience with these, but at a guess I'm thinking the clutch has gone (stripped off). Does this resonate with real life experience?

Kind Regards,
Damien Siviero
Damien Siviero Photography

Guys,

I've got an N-19 that seems to run fine on the surface, but in water towing a diver it seems to grind/slip and net result is no thrust.

I'm heading to the USA where I can pickup part more readily, anyone got any idea on what this may be?

I've very little experience with these, but at a guess I'm thinking the clutch has gone (stripped off). Does this resonate with real life experience?

Kind Regards,
Damien Siviero
Damien Siviero Photography

The Oceanic style clutches can be single use item. Once they have "released" the mating surfaces are damaged and need to be replaced.

Out of the water there is near zero load, in the water you are trying to transfer torque from the motor to the prop through the clutch and the damaged clutch is slipping. The good news is they aren't very expensive and are pretty easy to replace.

Tobin

Our clutch has an aluminum clutch plate and the upper and lower hubs are Delran, much better design than oceanic.

Attachments

• AJ Clutch.jpg
    AJ Clutch.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 121
I believe the newer Silent Submersion parts are much more like Cratos's than Oceanics, give them a call. Or Cratos, his parts will fit too. If you are overseas, might as well ask about any spares, do you service your scooter?

I'll give them a call. Looks pretty simple, I will do it myself. Not much choice really, there is no service in Sydney anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom