N.E. Dive Sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikswi:
Would anybody be willing to provide directions to Cathedral? I hear its one of the best sites around and have not dove there yet.

Also, I know its probably been discussed to death but, who has dove the Nubble in Maine and, what advice could you offer me as a newbie(less than 20 dives) on the site. I knwo that sunday dives are out. I have 2 kids that love the water as much as I do and my wife got cert'd with me. Is there a good hotel nearby that I can make it a weekend trip?

Thanks in advance....

I dove Cat Rocks once from shore; next time it'll be from a boat. It's 'tricky' (i.e. DANGEROUS) to climb down to the water and if the surface turns crappy it can be deadly (more than one diver has been killed) trying to exit the water. Magnolia and Norman's Woe (two others mentioned for good vis) are also not for the faint of heart or wimpy of body.

Nubble is about 20 minutes from my house and I am there quite frequently. Plenty of parking (except during tourista season) and during the warmer months there is a bathroom and restaurant available. Max high and max low are the best times to dive that site. Contact me if you want to arrange a dive.

On the other hand, as walking across the seaside boulder fields that are common arond New England goes, Cathedral isn't particularly bad. It's a whole lot trickier than parking your car and walking across 20 feet of sand to the water, but if you're reasonably fit and agile, it isn't too bad. The hard part is making the climb while transporting your gear, but it isn't anything a few trips back and forth won't solve.

I used to suit up first and make the climb down that way in one trip, but I don't think I'll be trying it in doubles.

MSilvia:
I used to suit up first and make the climb down that way in one trip, but I don't think I'll be trying it in doubles.

Yeah, I think my cathedral days may be numbered until I some single tanks. Hiking double 130s up and down those rocks won't be pretty.

Soggy:
I'm not so worried about down...it's getting back up with 110 lbs of tank on my back. :)

It would be fun to watch though. Let us know if you decide to give it a try. :wink:

Ralph

I second the Posts for CapeAnn Divers..Great Staff..and Captain Robs ..being from N.H...and if You end up in Maine..Don't touch the Lobster..You can get Shot..and I'm not kidding..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom