NACD cave diver class outline from 1975

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
In 1975 I went through the NACD Instructor course with Sheck Exley. We were assigned to write a course outline as we were evolving the course curriculum. A couple of weeks ago I ran across this outline in a box I had a lot of stuff stored in.

Attached are two PDF documents of that outline. It is interesting from a historical perspective.

Attachments

• NACDOutline-2.pdf
    99.5 KB · Views: 141
  • NACDOutline.pdf
    416.2 KB · Views: 176
This was an awesome find, Jim. I got to hold the document in my hand when I was over at Jim's house for dinner recently and it kind of gave me chills! I had actually had made a few cave dives back then and they scared the crap out of me. I never knew until much, much later that there were classes and even a certification track I could have taken to do that safely. Thanks for sharing this!!!

Very interesting. I'm amazed how much is still very relevant or only in need of minor updates. Glad to see it.

I liked the section where the my outline stated "Single Hose Regulator Required".

I also liked the fact that my class required a CPG.

What is a CPG? Also, why the clothespins? I'm guessing they are the old school equivalent of cookies or arrows?

Constant pressure gauge is what we called an spg.

Clothespins acted as line markers, like cookies do.

What is a CPG? Also, why the clothespins? I'm guessing they are the old school equivalent of cookies or arrows?
Clothes pegs are still used by some divers in Australia. They are used the same as cookies. Some people (not me) prefer them as they can be faster to deploy, recover and stow.

Clothes pegs are still used by some divers in Australia. They are used the same as cookies. Some people (not me) prefer them as they can be faster to deploy, recover and stow.

@kelemvor
they're still used over here too. Much faster to deploy if you have to drop a lot of them when back in T-ville of many of the caves over here, and much easier if on a DPV.

Good stiff Jim, thanks for sharing

I know one of the requirements of instructor candidates was to write a paper of some type. The NACD published those in a booklet for their workshops. A lot of the stuff is dated,but it really shows the sport was evolving strongly then

Yea I had to write a paper on decompression.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom